Why Politics Do Matter

Even though some people say that they do not like politics, everyone has a political opinion. However, we get so focused on seeking to influence government policies for our own interests, rather than the heart of politics: having a nation of justice, tranquility, safety, well-being, and liberty.

My political appetite. 

From the time I cast my first vote for a presidential nominee back in 2004, to where we are now, I have been let down by politics. Even though I have a strong appetite to engage in discussions about government and public policies, I feel like we are not progressing as a nation. I remember being attentive to the issues, and how the candidates articulated what direction they wanted to take with our country. The election race ignited my political aspirations, but I was more captivated and passionate about the issues we faced as a nation, and I thought one day I would run for President. 

Engaging in political discussions.

Many of my friends do not want to participate in conversations about politics. For some, it is a personal matter that they do not feel comfortable expressing, primarily because of the negativity of competing interests and views. Others seem to always talk about politics. There are times I will jump right into the conversation, but there are other times I just observe and listen. When I just listen, I noticed it is difficult to give others the opportunity to politically express themselves when we seek to explain our political views because of sound bites that are pulled out of context and misunderstood. Even though I may not agree with other people’s views, I try my best to understand. Like Stephen R. Covey, author of "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change," says, ”Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”

Join a party or you’re a nobody? 

With political partisanship clearly defined in the United States, people find themselves with the choice of aligning  to either political party or deciding not to be associated with either as an independent. Sure, there are other political parties besides Democrats and Republicans, but because of how polarizing the two parties have become, moderates have not had the opportunity to have adequate and consistent attention or significant political clout to survive in the arena. However, the polarization is not the only reason why political third parties cannot hang. Some people in these third parties have conflicting liberal and conservative views, which makes it difficult for a third party to decide the platform of the party. So, then, you are left with a group of people that does not have a unified voice to be heard among the giants on the Hill.

What makes someone a Republican or Democrat? 

People have asked me if I am Democrat or Republican, but I usually answer with deeper thought than most would. Responding to this question is far too complex for me to give a simple answer. For some people, they are Republicans or Democrats because of their parents, social issues, fiscal reasons, how they view the Constitution, etc. However, I have noticed that what determines our political views seem to be inconsistent with the two major parties’ stances. Someone can support social welfare programs, but have socially conservative views. Another person may be fiscally conservative, but socially liberal. These individuals, if not swayed to join either of the two major parties, are independents, or members of smaller political third parties. Even though there is a growing population of independents, these individual may feel disenfranchised, and feel like their vote or opinions do not matter. This cannot be further from the truth.

Go out and vote! 

Tuesday, Nov. 4, is Election Day. I know who will get my vote. Surprisingly, with the growth of independents, they have become the deciding factor of the outcome of election races. However, most people who are independents will not go out to vote. Some of the reasons may be that it is difficult to find a party or candidate that aligns with their political views, or finding a party that has enough significance to make change, or, at least, influence government policies. That is understandable, but if you are not voting, you cannot complain. Do your research on who and what will be on the ballots because it is your civic duty to vote!