Politics Are Personal, And I Will Take Your Vote Personally

The personal is political and the political is personal.

134

As we all desperately wait to see the results of yesterday's presidential election and social media are full of people saying that no matter who wins we'll all still have to love each other, I keep thinking of all the times people have told me "Don't take it personally. It's just politics."

I always knew that statement wasn't true, but it feels especially false during this election because everything about this election is personal. One of the more well-known quotes from second-wave feminism is that the personal is political and that the political is personal, and that statement has never felt more true.

It's impossible to separate the political from the personal. Everything about politics is personal. Political beliefs are based on morals, values and ideologies. We vote based on extremely personal reasons and beliefs. Our votes reflect what we see as the most important things, and what can be more personal than that?

So when it comes to this election and probably every election henceforth, I will take your vote personally. If you voted for Donald Trump, I do not have to tolerate that. I do not have to accept that and move forward as if it means nothing. I do not have to and will not respect your opinion when your opinion is based on the devaluation of the existence of marginalized people and the denial of basic human rights.

I won't say that everyone who voted for Donald Trump this election is a racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic bigot, but every person who voted for him decided that not a single one of those things was a dealbreaker. You've heard him spew bigoted words for years. You know his beliefs, yet the denial of people's rights was not a dealbreaker for you. You decided that racism, sexism, homophobia and pure hatred was acceptable. You decided that owning a gun or having lower taxes or anything else was more important than human lives, and that is not an opinion that is worthy of respect.

As a queer woman, your vote for Donald Trump was a vote against me. Your vote was a vote for violence against me. Your vote was a vote for taking away my rights because please do not forget that part of his platform is overturning both Roe and Obergefell. So yes, your politics are personal to me, and no, I will not respect your vote when your vote disrespected me, my friends and the people I love.