Pokemon Yes

Pokemon Yes

I Hated The Game. Now I Can't Get Enough.

28
Pokemon Yes
pokemon-fano

Pokemon Go is storming the nation. The handheld virtual world is a lot of fun and a great way to pass time but the app has a deeper meaning for many, even if some may not stop to think about it.

Some think it’s silly to be so enthralled in a game. Such a notion is understandable. I was one of those people, but I had to see what the fuss was all about for myself. I quickly came to see why a game has created such an unprecedented following.

My husband got a Pokemon Go account as soon as the app came out. Within days he was out late every night with the boys “catching them all.” I rolled my eyes and called him immature. I thought he was ridiculous. After talking to a co-worker, however, I thought, “this thing sounds kind of fun,” and so, I downloaded the app.

Not more than a few hours later I began to become obsessed— “where can I go to find more? There’s rare ones? I leveled up! Oh, geez, I have to get Pikachu!” He was the only one I knew of in the 90s, after all. I was full-on, hyper-drive, hooked! I loved this game! I don't usually play any games, except for Donkey Kong or Super Mario, which I break out on my Super Nintendo maybe once or twice a year.

The object of the game is to collectand evolve Pokemon into stronger characters to level your profile up. The more you catch, the more experience you gain. You also join teams— Red (Valor), Blue (Mystic), Yellow (Instinct). Certain places and landmarks such as various churches or restaurants are “gyms.” Each team member tries to take over gyms for their team by battling whoever is in control of the gym. You can add one of your characters to a gym if your team is in control of it. Adding your characters helps to strengthen your gym against opposing teams. Having strong characters that win battles and taking over gyms also helps you to level up. There are many other details but that’s the basis of the game.

So, what makes the game so great? Though I changed the camera setting later to make the Pokemon easier to catch, the first exciting aspect was the fact that you find these little guys in your real life— right there in a restaurant, or on the sidewalk you’re walking down. The first Pokemon I caught was sitting on my desk while I ate lunch. The next exciting part of Pokemon Go was finding those rare characters, who show up on your “nearby,” meaning that they are somewhere around you and you just have to figure out where. The game is like a combination of scavenger hunting, collecting, Geo-caching, and so many other interests that different people can relate to from other gameplay or memories growing up. I was even reminded of Tamagotchi, which was my favorite in the 90s.

Ultimately, the best thing about Pokemon Go for me is that when I play it, I am completely immersed in the game— my stressors from work, family, relationships, adulting, and balancing it all, are completely abandoned when I’m battling in gyms, searching for characters, or evolving them. And when I level up, all is right in the world. All of the cruelty going on in our country and others seems a little more bearable when you can take a break from it for a little while. Blogs all over the internet have mentioned that people feel that the game is helping them with challenges in their own lives, such as depression or obesity.

I also feel that the game is a gift for family and relationships. My family spent the weekend exploring the city and visiting the zoo. My husband and I drive around and high five each other when we find rare Pokemon. Dorks, yes, but we've never spent so much time out together just laughing.

There are many people that are turning up their noses at the game and citing that it is dangerous and annoying to have players everywhere. I’ve never seen so many random people socializing, exercising, and just enjoying their own neighborhoods, who wouldn't have without this game. People smile and say hello, invite you to join their gyms, and ask for tips or give you theirs. Conversations about Pokemon turn into conversations about lives and invites to get-togethers. People from all walks of life play and are welcome to. There is no judgment in this world.

If you’re going to play, of course, play safely—don’t go to strange and secluded Poke-Stops alone late at night. Watch your step, pay attention to traffic, and don’t drive and play— if you're in a vehicle, have someone to drive and someone to hold the phones. If you’re careful and smart, this game can be an experience that is far different from any you’ve ever had before.

If you’re not into Pokemon Go, that is okay, but maybe next time you see people out enjoying themselves, try to remember that things in life like simple games may impact people more than first glance can convey. No matter if we agree or not, it’s always easy to just let others have fun through whatever harmless interests they may have.