For When There's Nothing Good Left On Netflix Here Are 8 Podcasts To Turn To

Stressed from studying for finals? Listen to podcasts instead!

72
https://pixabay.com/en/microphone-audio-computer-338481/

With finals in full swing, stress levels and coffee consumption are higher than ever, and it's near impossible to find a coveted study room in the library that's unoccupied. In the midst of all the studying and stress, sometimes all I want to do is curl up in my covers with my headphones in and forget about the theories of international relations for an hour or two. We all deserve a break, and a great way to rest yet feel like you're learning something is through podcasts— with the ever-growing selection available through Apple Podcasts or Soundcloud, here are 8 of my favorite picks that aren't the NPR Politics Podcast:

1. You Must Remember This

pixel.nymag.com

Love history but tired of learning about the American revolution over and over? Turn to You Must Remember This, which focuses on classic Hollywood conspiracies, relationships, and mysteries within a historical context. Karina Longworth makes sure each of her stories is well-researched, and gives a new perspective on events such as WWII, the blacklist at the height of Mccarthyism— if pure history isn't your style, there's plenty of episodes about celebrity scandals and urban legends to keep you entertained.

2. Wolf 359

static.tvtropes.org

As a lifelong fan of Star Wars and basically anything that happens on a spaceship, Wolf 359 was right up my alley. What starts out as a slightly absurd misadventure with a cast of quirky characters on a mission to find an alternative to Earth quickly becomes more sinister and intriguing. The writing and storyline are amazing, and each character feels fully realized. The best part is that Wolf 359 recently wrapped up its last episode, meaning new listeners won't have to agonize each month waiting after another cliffhanger!

3. Pod Save the People

content.production.cdn.art19.com

Pretty much everyone has heard of Pod Save America unless they live under a rock, the massively popular politics podcast hosted by former Obama administration staffers. Pod Save the People comes from the same company behind PSA, Crooked Media, but has a focus on social justice and the activists/thinkers who come together to make a change. In our deeply polarizing and broken political climate, it can be easy to lose hope and come to the conclusion that individuals don't have any real power to have a positive effect— while Pod Save the People is realistic, it also is uplifting and inspiring to hear about the various movements happening in our country right now. I'm learning so much about the inner workings of grassroots movements, questioning what I never thought I would, and mostly I'm seeing why we shouldn't lose hope yet.

4. My Favorite Murder

up-1.cdn-fullscreendirect.com

Ever binge-watched a season of "Criminal Minds" or "Making a Murderer" in a day? (thanks Netflix!) If you like true crime TV, My Favorite Murder is the perfect podcast. Hosted by two friends who discuss a lesser-known crime each week, it really feels like you're just chatting with someone over a cup of coffee...except about murder. While it may sound morbid, it's never too serious, and the addition of Elvis the cat balances it out perfectly for easy listening.

5. 99% Invisible

f.prxu.org

We walk past interesting-looking buildings and structures every day of our lives, but give them less than a few seconds of thought. 99% Invisible dives deep into the design ideas and true functions of things around us that we write off so easily as "just another skyscraper." You don't even need to have a vested interest in architecture to enjoy this podcast, because glass and building materials have never been presented in such an intriguing way before. Get ready to take a second look at every building you pass, or maybe just impress your parents with knowledge about Corinthian orders.

6. How Did This Get Made?

i1.sndcdn.com

There are some movies that are so bad that their very existence requires justification— not the ones that are so awful they become enjoyable, but the ones that leave you wondering why you absolutely just wasted two hours of precious time. That's where this podcast comes in— the hosts are just as confused as to why these movies exist, but they make the best of it by interviewing the people involved and trying to unscramble the most convoluted plot points. And they manage to make it so funny you sometimes even feel like you need to go watch some of the worst movies ever made.

7. Wooden Overcoats

m.media-amazon.com

The second fictional podcast on this list, Wooden Overcoats is just the right amount of wacky with real feeling to keep listeners hooked. It's premised around two rival funeral home directors on a tiny island in the English Channel, who are kept in check only by one director's sister— she's over everything, and basically runs both businesses by proxy. The sprawling set of quirky characters and storylines are wonderful, and with the production quality only getting better as the seasons progress, Wooden Overcoats has never been more interesting.

8. Getting Curious with Jonathan Van Ness

content.production.cdn.art19.com

Jonathan Van Ness, aka the light of our lives, aka the savior of 2018. Van Ness' infectious energy from "Queer Eye" carries right over to his podcast, which covers everything from puppies to important legislation and movements surrounding the LGBTQ+ community. Van Ness is a great interviewer, and each episode seems like a true collaboration of opinions and interests between his guest and him. The sheer breadth of topics covered means there's something here for everyone, and even if you don't particularly care about a certain artist or politician, Van Ness is just so uplifting and fun to listen to.