safety sex trafficking rules iowa missing persons
Friendships

People Are Going Missing, Be Safe With These Tips

As the missing person count rises, keep yourself and your friends off the list and on your toes.

49
Hailey Kean

In the past ten days, 30 people—teens actually—all ages 17 or under, have gone missing in Iowa. The majority are from Des Moines, Council Bluffs, and Cedar Rapids. The majority are female, 20 of them in fact. This leaves Iowans scratching their heads as to where they would've gone and a significant amount are pointing to sex trafficking.

Though it's important to state that not all cases are sex trafficking and kidnapping, it is also vital to take precautionary measures until officials in Iowa can address and put a hold on the sudden rise of missing persons. Until then, keep these rules, rules given to me by family, coworkers, and officials, in mind.

1. Trust Your Gut

Deva Darshan

If you feel something is wrong, then you are right. You're not paranoid and it's not in your head. I promise that you and your family would rather have a call from you saying that you're scared and uncomfortable along with your location rather than to not hear from you again.

2. Be Aware

David East

Take out those earbuds--especially at night! Keep a close watch and check around you if you feel like you're being followed. If there are people lingering about and messing with your vehicle, don't touch it. Don't touch your vehicle if it has something odd on either. There may be toxins that kidnappers put on door handles or a different sort of set up.

3. Women Are In On It Too

Charlie Deets

Just because a stranger is a woman doesn't make her safe. If she's asking too many questions, then you should get out of there. Often some people are unaware of the entirety of what they're involved in. And if they are, money can be a strong motivator, so use caution.

4. Be Rude To Creepy Strangers

Isaiah Rustad

If they're asking too many questions then they're in the wrong. You have every right to feel uncomfortable so don't be afraid to show it and get snippy. Let them know you have places to go, people expecting you, and no times for games.

5. Tell Someone Where You're Going

Matthew Kane

Tell a friend if you're going out of town or even let someone have access to your phone's location at all times in case something does happen. It's best if you give out a date or time you'll be back or arrive. Keep in constant touch so they know when they can become concerned.

6. Get Defense

Braden Hopkins

Pepper spray and rape whistles always seem to be the source of puns, but they actually work. They're meant to save lives, not to be the punchline of jokes. Put some investigation into a device to alert others of your danger. Any way that you can draw attention to yourself is a good strategy to get away.

I've had close calls myself., so don't be afraid to talk about it. I've had drunks follow me to my car and then turned around as soon as I got into it. I've had strange men grab at my waist and ask where I lived. Now these men may not have had any further intent, but if you are uncomfortable please call and report any suspicious activity—you may not only save yourself but someone else too.