What Are Your Plans After The Global Pandemic?

2020 has not been anyone's year.

8

There is a song on TikTok currently that depicts the entire year, thus far, in a simple jargon:

'F*CK 2020'.

As jarring and aggressive as it sounds, it is the truth. Coming from the perspective of a college student, who got the rug yanked out from under my feet and was forced to flee home to my small town, I can relate to this.

2020 has not been anyone's year.

It has been filled to the seam with loss, devastation, revolution, and change. Some in ways we need, others in ways we don't. For someone who loves to think about what to do next, this year has been a challenge. All I have done is sit still.

No planning. No traveling. No spontaneous summer nights. Instead, I spent the majority of my summer, sucking down iced coffee, serving dinner at the senior home, and making it home in time for dinner before my early morning shift began again. I retrospect, it was a summer of growth. I wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

So, I have decided it is time to look ahead and become more positive. See things on the other side of the rainbow, rather than only see the clouds. I started asking myself: what is the plan AFTER this global pandemic?

It isn't an easy question. At times, it feels as though we are never going to be able to escape this COVID-19 and ever see the light again. It the spirit of being our new-found, positive selves, I wrote them all down.

I am going to make the end of 2020 and the start of 2021 the best it can possibly be.

First, I am going to study abroad. The plan was for me to go abroad in the spring of 2021, but due to the coronavirus, it was pushed back until I am a junior. I am hoping to go to Italy and work on studies for my minor, which is Writing & Rhetoric. Yes, I a writing minor. I know you are all completely shocked bleh bleh bleh.

I am planning on living in Milan, Italy for four months and study/travel my way through Europe.

Croatia, Portugal, Morrocco, Greece, Denmark.

All the places that I had been wanting and waiting to go to. Of course, COVID-19 had other plans. For now, you will just find me in my Lexington apartment, eating El Cid, drinking Common Grounds almond milk lattes, and attempting to be the best Strategic Communication student ever.

Also, I had plans for going to concerts. Specifically, Sir Harry Edward Styles. LANY. Taylor Swift. All of the humans I wished would serenade me with their lovely voices.

Listening to "Watermelon Sugar" and "my tears ricochet" live would have put air in my lungs.

While these things seem materialistic, it isn't about the surface level.

It is about people. Being with people. Surrounding yourself with the people you haven't been able to hug and laugh within such a long time. This social distancing has distanced us from the people and things we love most. But, we must remember those people are never that far away. We are will get through this.

We will see the other side of the rainbow. It is just a small hiccup away.