7 Non-Touristy Things To Do In Orlando

7 Non-Touristy Things To Do In Orlando

Orlando does not equal Disney World.

2371
7 Non-Touristy Things To Do In Orlando
Leonidas Bratini

Three years ago, I moved to Orlando to work at Disney World. I believed all I'd really do while living here was bounce around theme parks, riding attractions and watching shows as often as I wanted. And I did that, for a while. But I also discovered something I never expected to: Orlando is so much more than just theme parks. I loved it here so much that I decided to stay and finish my degree at the University of Central Florida, which only introduced me to more awesome hangout spots around Orlando. So without further ado, I bestow my hard-earned wisdom onto you. Here's how to explore the Orlando area just like a local.

7. Want to go somewhere, like, totally underground?

If you want to find the hipster nest of Orlando just go to Stardust Coffee, not too far from downtown. The atmosphere is lively yet relaxed, with a colorful set of regulars. Plus you can brag to all your friends about how you discovered it first.

6. Need some fine art in your life?

Head over to the Orlando Art Museum. It's a beautiful museum with an unexpectedly high number of Georgia O'Keefe paintings. And if you're here in the summer, you should absolutely visit the Orlando Fringe Festival. It's in the same area as the art museum, put on by theater geeks of Orlando who write, direct and star in their own theater productions. It's an incredible time and all proceeds support local artists.

5. Hungry for something other than Mickey waffles?

In an unassuming strip mall between a movie theater and a Publix lies some of the greatest food you'll find in Orlando. Tibby's is a New Orleans style restaurant with fun theming, an incredible menu and an inexpensive happy hour. When you go, get the Shrimp and Andouille Cheddar Grits and one of their $5 Hurricane drinks. You won't regret it.

4. Want to enjoy nature? (Yes, we do actually have nature around here.)

Sometimes living in Orlando can make you feel like you're living in the world's biggest funhouse. If you need to get back in touch with nature just head to Wekiva Springs, no more than an hour from downtown. You can swim, kayak, or just relax by the water until all your I-4-induced rage floats away.

3. Feel like going out?

Lucky you, you're in a city that loves to have fun. For you babies out there, Southern Nights and Independent Bar (or iBar) are the best eighteen and up clubs around here. Southern Nights is a gay club with an incredibly friendly atmosphere and exciting shows, and iBar has Mac and Cheese Night on Wednesday's where the masses come out to sing all the words to throwback songs together. And for you older folks, you can't go wrong with the Milk District bars. They're cool, mature and super close to Gringos Locos (AKA the best drunk food on the face of the earth).

2. Need some new threads?

Stop by Avalon Exchange. It's a high-end consignment store near the fancy-schmancy Park Avenue area of Winter Park. There are always amazing finds here at thrift store prices.

1. And finally, what is the closest thing we have to a culture in Orlando?

The Lake Eola Farmer's Market, baby. We may not be Miami or Atlanta, but our farmer's market is popping every single Sunday. Food, drink, music, art, dogs, kites: that's the real Orlando culture.

As a military brat who has lived all over the country, I can tell you that Orlando is much weirder than you've been led to believe. It's special and artsy and cool—you just have to look beneath the commercialized, amusement park surface.