7 Places To Visit In Mexico For First-Timers

Places one can't miss on a first trip to Mexico

184
Tulum, Riviera Maya

Thanks to its location, culture, and blessed climate, Mexico receives millions of tourists each year. In 2019 alone, the country received 45 million foreign tourists, up from 40 million the year before.

Today, with the current travel limitations, Mexico has also become the number one foreign travel destination for Americans, who are flocking to the country to take advantage of the pleasant temperatures, affordable prices, and more relaxed approach to the pandemic. This article will show some of the best places to visit in Mexico, especially useful for first-time travelers.

Isla Holbox

This tiny and idyllic Caribbean island is located off the coast of the Yucatan Peninsula, about 40 miles from Cancun. Despite the short distance, Holbox Island feels like a world apart. The island is an alternative to places such as Playa del Carmen or even Tulum, which have both become very popular destinations for sunseekers traveling to Yucatan.

Among the things to do in Holbox, it is worth mentioning the delectable local cuisine which also includes a Mexican version of ceviches - well worth trying - and spotting cool street art around Holbox Town. Adventure-seekers can swim with whale sharks, kayak around the mangroves and Instagrammers can pose by the Holbox letters.

All and all, Isla Holbox is a place to take things easy and relax.

Mexico City

At first, the idea of visiting a large city such as Mexico's capital may feel overwhelming. But visiting Mexico City is nothing like that. Even with a population of over 16 million, the city is easy to visit and, surprisingly walkable around the historic district.

it is

Los Cabos

Los Cabos is one of the best places to visit in Mexico for those looking for sea, sun and scenery. Home to several golf clubs, ultra-luxury resorts and gold sandy beaches, this is where A-list Hollywood celebrities like George Clooney and Jennifer Aniston can often be spotted.

The main places to visit are Cabo San Lucas and San Jose del Cabo, but the whole Los Cabos area has plenty to offer.

Topping the list of activities would be whale watching, snorkeling and swimming with whale sharks. However, most people visit the area to relax and indulge in a luxury resort stay, sipping cocktails on the poolside or enjoying different spa treatments.

Puerto Vallarta

Regarded as one of the best beach destinations in Mexico, Puerto Vallarta also has plenty to offer. The best start to the trip is going for a walk around Viejo Vallarta, with its vintage and colorful houses, great restaurants and art galleries. The Malecon promenade is not far and, in addition to the beautiful sea views, there are several interesting sculptures that add to the artsy spirit of Puerto Vallarta.

Adventure-seekers can go waterfall-hiking, ziplining, or even skydiving. If saltwater is more appealing, there are plenty of beaches to sunbathe, and boat tours to Los Arcos and even tours to the secret beach at Isla Marieta.

Puerto Vallarta is also a serious foodie destination, with several good restaurants serving delectable Mexican food, seafood and good vegetarian dishes. Would-be chefs can also take cooking classes in a professional and fun environment.

Chichen Itza

One of the 7 New Wonders of the World, Chichen Itza is one of those places worth-visiting in Yucatan. This pre-Hispanic site was a major Mayan city between 600 AD and 1200 AD.

It is possible to visit the site on a day trip from Cancun, located 110 miles away. The main focal point at Chichen Itza is the pyramid, also known as the "castillo" (castle). Standing at 98 feet (30 meters), the pyramid served as a temple to the deity Kukulcán, the Yucatec Maya Feathered Serpent deity.

Guadalajara

Guadalajara is the largest city in the state of Jalisco, where Puerto Vallarta is also located. Guadalajara is also the second largest city in Mexico, and although less famous than the capital, it does have its fair share of attractions and great things to do.

The city is home to tequila and the mariachis, the city also has a beautiful old town, which should be your first place to visit. There, you can listen to mariachis and eat at some of the many good restaurants. Another place to try the delicious local food is at Mercado Libertad, with food courts offering the best of Mexican and Jalisco cuisine.

Cancun and the Riviera Maya

The gateway to many travelers to Mexico, Cancun needs to introduction. The city, located in the Yucatan region, has beautiful Caribbean turquoise waters and plenty of cool hotels. Some all-inclusive resorts in Cancun have their own private beach.

Travelers willing to experience some real-life Cancun, can head to Cancun Town, about 3 miles from Zona Hotelera, where the beaches and the resorts are located. Cancun Town has some good restaurants, small markets and has changed a lot in the past decade.

Those who wish to stay in a quieter place can choose other destinations in the Riviera Maya, such as Playa del Carmen, which has become a favorite among digital nomads, Tulum, with its seaside historic Mayan ruins and incredible hotels and Bali-like ecolodges. Families with small children can also spend the day at Xcaret, a resort-cum-theme park with enough to keep the whole family entertained.

With several unique destinations, from pre-Columbian sites, sandy beaches, great food and one of the world's true megalopolis, Mexico will appeal to travelers and vacationers of any age and style. And those who visit the country will most likely want to return for more.