Where should I travel?

20 Places I Want To Travel To Before I Die

"There is a map in my room, on the wall of my room, and I've got big plans" - The Front Bottoms

117

I have one of those scratch-off maps in my room, always reminding me of one of my biggest desires in life. I have wanted to travel the world as long as I can remember. As a child, I explored encyclopedias and read all about history and different countries. I originally wanted to study archaeology and anthropology! I haven't had the chance to study abroad, but I know I have my whole life ahead of me to make things happen.

Here are some of my top destinations:

1. Machu Picchu, Perú

Nestled high in the slopes of the Andes, the ruins of Machu Picchu continue to reveal the mysteries of the Inca Empire. (nationalgeographic.com)

Photo by Willian Justen de Vasconcellos on Unsplash

Machu Picchu is one of the amazing creations left behind by the Inca Empire. I love history, especially ancient cultures, so I am really drawn to this place. I would love to hike the trail and see this place in all its splendor.

2. Hawai'i

From the hustle and bustle of Oahu to the romance of Maui and off-the-beaten-path pursuits on Lanai and Molokai, the Hawaiian Islands offer enough to see. (visittheusa.com)

Photo by Peter Vanosdall on Unsplash

Hawai'i seems kind of like a cliche tourist destination, but I'm dying to visit the islands. I really want to explore the beaches and hiking trails here.

3. Spain

Park Güell is one of the most impressive public parks in the world. The park is located in Barcelona and was designed by famous architect Antonio Gaudi. (parkguell.org)

Photo by Vitor Monteiro on Unsplash

I would love to explore this European country, including the cities of Madrid, Barcelona, and Toledo.

4. France

I feel like France would be an art lover's dream. I really want to go to Claude Monet's house in Giverny, France, and the Louvre and Musée Marmottan Monet in Paris.

5. México

México is one place I really hope to be able to visit. I'd love to go to la Ciudad de México, where my significant other grew up. One of the attractions there that I would like to visit is Frida Kahlo's home (I really love famous painters). I'd also love to go see the Mayan ruins and visit the cities of Merida in the Yucatán and Oaxaca.

6. California, USA

I have not been to California yet, but I definitely feel like I would love it there. Of course, it'd be nice to see some of the places in southern California, but northern California really calls to me. I'm dying to visit the Redwoods National Park and drive the Pacific Coast Highway.

7. Ireland

Towering heights and crashing waves, ageless legends and endless flurrying birds: the Cliffs of Moher are a natural masterpiece. (ireland.com)

Photo by Leighton Smith on Unsplash

As the home of my ancestors, I would really love to visit this beautiful country. I'm just fascinated by Europe because there is so much recorded history on these lands.

8. Costa Rica

Costa Rica is an eco-tourist's dream. There are national parks, volcanoes, waterfalls, rainforests, cloud forests, underground cave systems, beaches, animal sanctuaries, exquisite diving destinations, and adventure parks. I would love to go here and soak up all of the amazing natural attractions Costa Rica has to offer.

9. Greece

I have always loved learning about ancient Greece, so this country has been on my bucket list for as long as I can remember. Not only would it be amazing to view the ancient ruins scattered around the country, but I would also love to visit the Santorini islands.

10. Amsterdam, Netherlands

With world-class museums, quirky festivals, theatre, live music, laid-back bars, and delightful restaurants, there's never a shortage of things to do in Amsterdam. (iamamsterdam.com)

Photo by Ramida Made on Unsplash

Amsterdam is definitely a unique city and there a lot of things that I feel would make it worth a trip. And (is it predictable now?) I would love to see the Van Gogh Museum and the Anne Frank House.

11. Salar de Uyuni, Bolivia

The Salar de Uyuni is a salt flat, and it is known as one of the most unique views on Earth. The reflective properties of the expanses of salt can make the sky look endless.

12. Japan

There's so much I would like to see in Japan. I definitely want to go to Tokyo and Kyoto.

13. Egypt

A complicated but fascinating country with some of the most enduring historical monuments on Earth, Egypt stands as an unforgettable travel destination. (worldtravelguide.net)

Photo by Fynn schmidt on Unsplash

My mom and I always talked about going to Egypt together one day, as we both love to learn about the ancient civilizations there.

14. China

Ever since I was young, I have wanted to visit China. Seeing the Great Wall is definitely something I have wanted to do for as long as I can remember. I'd also like to see the Forbidden City in Beijing and the terracotta army in Xī'ān.

15. Petra, Jordan

Another archaeological wonder, I would really enjoy visiting the spectacular sandstone city Petra in Jordan.

16. Mitad del Mundo, Ecuador

I think it would be fun to visit the equator line in Ecuador. They also have interesting demonstrations, such as of the Coriolis effect.

17. New York City, USA

view from the Staten Island ferry.

Photo by BICAD MEDIA on Unsplash

I haven't explored NYC yet, but I have ridden through it on the way to Massachusetts. I hope to cross this off my list soon!

18. Miami, Florida, USA

home of Dexter.

Photo by Muzammil Soorma on Unsplash

I've been to Orlando several times, but haven't made it down to Miami yet.

19. Colorado, USA

As an avid concert-goer, I'd really love to visit Colorado and see a show at Red Rocks.

20. Tromsø, Norway

According to Travel + Leisure, Tromsø is in an area that offers the highest chance of seeing the lights. There's also whale-watching tours. I hate the cold, but it definitely would be amazing to see the lights one day.