13 Facts Of Life That Are Only True For Pittsburgh Natives
popular

Yes, we have a lot of bridges and arguably one of the best NFL teams, but there is so much more about Pittsburgh that makes it fantastic.

8680
Flickr Creative Commons

When people who are not from Pittsburgh talk about Pittsburgh, it's generally either about the bridges or the sports teams. What they fail to realize - and what I have come to realize in my 22 years of living here - is that Pittsburgh is the best city to have ever existed. Yes, we have a lot of bridges and arguably one of the best NFL teams, but there is so much more about Pittsburgh that makes it fantastic.

Regardless of how great Pittsburgh is, there are some weird things about the city as well. I've grown up here, so I'm used to them, but I can understand they might be difficult for some people to wrap their head around.

So allow me to explain 13 things you wouldn't understand if you weren't from Pittsburgh.

1. Sometimes people don’t understand you when you speak.

My 10th-grade teacher once told me that they figured out where a woman with amnesia lived solely because she spoke with a Pittsburgh accent and I believe it. There are words I didn’t even know COULD be pronounced differently until I went to college and met people who weren’t from Pittsburgh.

2. You hated Baltimore and The Ravens before you were old enough to understand why.

To be completely honest, I’m still not entirely sure why, and I’ve lived here for 22 years. I do know, however, that to say any good thing about the Ravens is basically a death sentence.

3. Pittsburgh roads confuse you no matter how long you’ve lived here.

There is a reason I almost exclusively take the T into the city, and that reason is that no matter how many times I try, I cannot understand Pittsburgh roads. I’m fairly certain whoever designed these roads didn’t understand them either.

4. However, when you DO drive into Pittsburgh, the view takes your breath away.

No matter how irrationally stressed I know I am about to become, driving through the Fort Pitt Tunnels and emerging on the other side never fails to surprise me.

5. You're constantly amazed that people don't know what Eat'N Park is.

I’m constantly amazed that people don’t know about Eat'N Park before moving here, because I’ve been eating at Eat'N Park since before I can remember.

6. Sheetz is basically a way of life.

Find me one Pittsburger who has not stopped at Sheetz to get gas and gone in to get coffee/food/etc. You can’t.

7. The only sandwiches worth eating are sandwiches with Cole slaw and fries on them.

I honestly did not have a Primanti Brothers sandwich until I was in high school, but I’m pretty sure it changed my life when I did. Is it a little weird? Yes. Does it taste good anyway? Yes.

8. You are a Steeler’s fan. Regardless if you watch the games or not.

I will be completely transparent and say that I do not, or will I have ever, watch every game that the Steeler’s play in. That does not diminish the pride I have in my home team, however.

9. Heinz Ketchup is the only real ketchup.

Apparently, there are other types of ketchup in this world? I wouldn’t know.

10. You are overly protective of the H in Pittsburgh.

There is no greater way to start a debate then telling someone from Pittsburgh the H wasn’t part of the “official” spelling. We know. We don’t care. Trust me.

11. You’ve been spoiled for fireworks.

Zambelli fireworks put all other firework displays to shame.

12. Inclines

I wasn’t aware these weren’t a thing until I tried to explain them to someone who didn’t grow up here.

13. You have an unreasonable love of Kennywood.

All my summers were spent at this park. I have ridden every ride this park has to offer. I spent my 16th birthday at Fright Night. Does that stop me from wanting to go back every summer? No. No, it does not.