Pit Bulls Aren't A Vicious Breed

Pit Bulls Are Amazing Dogs, They Shouldn't Be Considered Vicious

Pit Bulls have been considered dangerous by many people, but are they really what they have been portrayed to be?

27

Throughout my life, I've seen through posts on social media, articles, and have even heard from both strangers and very rarely a person I know that Pit Bulls are a terrifying, dangerous breed. I can understand why they would think that. It's true that Pit Bulls have attacked both other animals and people, that they have a very strong jaw/bite, and that they have even been banned in a few states, but that doesn't mean that they are the vicious dog they've been depicted to be.

For the past few years, I have occasionally helped out at Shelton, WA Adopt-A-Pet. An animal shelter for dogs, managed and helped by volunteers. Throughout the years, they have gotten multiple different types of dogs. Sweet ones, aggressive ones, overly frightened ones, etc. Some of the sweetest, most lovable dogs they have received happened to be Pit Bulls. Yes, they received a few less friendly Pit Bulls as well, but after learning about what happened to them before being brought to the shelter, it was realized that the reason for such behaviors was usually due to neglect and fear. In fact, they have even received a few Pit Bulls with scars and even a slightly torn up ear that they believed to have been bait for dog fights, and these dogs, while they were scared, ended up being some of the sweetest the shelter ever had.

Pit Bulls are considered one of the most, if not the most dangerous breeds by many due to their bite force and athletic ability.

But what most people don't seem to realize is that there are actually multiple dogs with an even stronger bit force and similar if not stronger athletic ability than this breed. One of these actually happens to be the German Shepard, which is why they are such a popular choice for jobs such as police work. A few others that also happen to have a stronger bite force are the Rottweiler, the Mastiff, and the Doberman, which also tend to be greatly feared dogs, although there are many dogs in these breeds who have made great family dogs.

In the end, it's true that Pit Bulls can be aggressive, but so can any dog if treated incorrectly or not taken care of at all.

Most times, no matter the breed, if they are treated well, they will fit in as a part of the family. So, if you ever see a Pit Bull, while it's understandable why some would be afraid due to what all has been said about them, consider how many of this breed has changed people's lives for the better, and that what has been said about them may not be true.