My Piercing Experience: A Mini Guide

My Piercing Experience: A Mini Guide

Want a Piercing? Learn about aftercare, pain, and what to expect.

2714
My Piercing Experience: A Mini Guide
Patrick Demarchelier, Vogue, May 2016

Piercings have made a comeback.

If you mindlessly scroll through Tumblr and Instagram as much as I do, then you know that piercings have made a huge return to the fashion mainstream. Septums, lip piercings, even eyebrow piercings have been revived from the 90's as a simple but bold fashion statement.

This summer I took the leap and got two new piercings: a septum and a regular nose. There is a plethora of information out there regarding most piercings, but I decided to compile it all into one mini guide in case you are considering changing up your look!

One of the most asked questions I have received in regards to my piercings is if they hurt. Since pain can be a deal breaker for many people, I have detailed below the piercings I have, and their pain level.

Keep in mind that not everyone has the same tolerance for pain, and so what was painful for me might be a breeze for you, and vice versa: this is just a bit of a guide to help you grasp how much it might hurt.

(Note: The pictures attached are not of me or my piercings; they are just there for reference, in case one of these may not be familiar to you.)

1. Ear Piercing

When I Got it: I got my first one when I was around 5, and then had to have them redone around 10. My second one was done when I was 13 and my third when I was 15, but the third one is currently retired: more on that experience below.

Pain Level: On a scale of 1-10, all three rated from a 1-2.

Pierced With: A gun for all three. (do not recommend.)

Experience: I got these all pierced with a gun, something I don't recommend now - it causes scar tissue, tearing, and a greater chance of infection, especially the higher up the ear you go. With that being said, my experience with my first two piercings was fine.

My third piercing, though, healed incorrectly and I got an infection, most likely from the use of a gun - the hole closed over the jewelry and I had to rip it out of my ear backward. Some people get their ears pierced with a gun and in fact, most people do and never have a problem, so if you have in fact gotten a piercing with a gun, don't worry.

Just keep in mind that the higher up the ear you go, the better and safer it is to go to a tattoo parlor!

2. Septum Piercing

What It Is: A septum piercing is a nose piercing of the nasal septum in which the piercer, with a needle, pierces the thin piece of skin - known as "the sweet spot" between the nostrils. The needle should not go through cartilage, as this can be extremely painful.

When I Got It: 3 months ago.

Pain Level: On a scale of 1-10, this was a 3 or a 4 - a quick pain and then it was fine.

Experience: This was a pretty easy piercing - it takes around six months to heal, but only took about 2 for me to be able to switch out the jewelry. If you are skeptical about getting it, then I suggest trying the fake ones first to see how you like them on you. I did that before getting the actual piercing to help me make up my mind.

I use a solution of sea salt and warm water, soaking a cotton ball or q tip to clean the jewelry and the piercing itself. You can also use H2Ocean Water - found at most hot topic stores and piercing shops. Many pieces of jewelry can be used to hide the piercing and flip it up, if necessary, making it convenient for those with jobs with dress codes.

Flipping it up constantly, though, is not suggested as it can further irritate the piercing, especially if it is fresh. So if your parents don't approve, keep that in mind if you were planning on hiding it from them during the day! You HAVE to get this one pierced at a shop, as it is nearly impossible to pierce with a gun.

Make sure you read reviews and check the licenses of any shop you plan to get pierced at.

3. Nose/Nostril Piercing

When I Got It: 3 months ago.

Pain Level: Less than the septum piercing - around a 2, but the healing process can be a nuisance and can be more painful than the piercing itself.

Experience: This piercing was easy to get done, but is not easy to maintain, at least for me in my experience. It is a finicky piercing and can get easily infected due to its placement. If you constantly touch your face or get oily, the piercing can get irritated and develop a keloid, which is a raised bump around the piercing hole. It is unsightly and takes time to go down. I used the same salt water solution to clean this piercing.

I do not suggest changing it if the piercing is still tender to the touch or swollen, or the nostril is hard to the touch. Keep it well cleaned and leave the jewelry in for up to 5-6 months before changing it, and you should have a good experience! Also, this piercing should 100% be done at a tattoo shop. Do not pierce your nose with a gun.

There are many, many, many articles on why you shouldn't, and since I am not a professional piercer, I won't go into those reasons here: but please, do your research and go to someone licensed and trained to pierce.

4. Ashley Piercing

What It Is: An Ashley piercing, also known as an inverse labret, is a lip/oral piercing in which the needle goes through your lip horizontally, instead of the usual vertical position, so only one gem is visible, placed in the center of the bottom lip.

When I Got it: Around 2 months ago, but I no longer have it/it is retired, sadly.

Pain Level: On a scale of 1-10, this piercing was my most painful at a 6. It is a quick piercing, though, and I imagine would take some getting used to.

Experience: I wish I still had this one, but this is why it is important to go to an up to date and reputable piercer/shop. I got the piercing despite there being little experiences about it online because it is not a popular piercing at all - it has been made popular by Instagram lip models who use the piercing to amplify the look of their makeup, particularly their lipstick.

I loved it, but it was a painful piercing. It swelled A LOT and I found it hard to eat and talk. The bar I was pierced with was too short, and it is customary to be pierced with a longer bar with lip and oral piercings to accommodate for swelling. I had to take it out when it began to swell over the back of the bar.

I was left with no scar and just some scar tissue that I can feel when I rub my lip. If you plan on getting this one, go to an up to date piercer and ask questions, such as if you will be pierced with a longer bar. Keep in mind that this piercing is uncommon and while quite beautiful, might be difficult to get just right.

Those are my piercings! Again, I am not a licensed piercer, so always, always listen to your piercer and to their instructions for aftercare as long as they fall within the updated guidelines of the APP. Piercings can be a great addition to your look but are a big commitment.

You need to be prepared to care for them and be prepared to do your research to ensure you get the best and safest experience. You may find that you can get your piercings done cheaply but cheaply is not always best if the piercers and shops are not up to standards. Remember to keep your health in mind, and always go to the best and most trusted shops!

Do you have a piercing or one of the piercings mentioned above? Let me know!