Jokes And Fun Facts To Celebrate Pi Day!

Celebrate the day of your favorite irrational number.
2338

It’s officially March 14th. This is not just an ordinary day, but a day on which all math geeks and nerds alike can unite! Happy Pi Day! To commemorate this historic number, here are three jokes and 14 facts about pi:

3 Jokes:

1. Sir Cumference was the roundest knight at King Arthur’s table because he ate too much pi.
  2. What do you get if you divide the circumference of a bowl of ice cream by its diameter? Pi a la mode.
  3. 3.14% of sailors are pi-rates.

14 Facts:

1. Pi Day is also the birthday of Albert Einstein's, Apollo 8 Commander Frank Borman, Astronomer Giovanni Schiaparelli, and last-man-on-the-moon Gene Cernan.
  2. Australian researchers have found the sixty-trillionth binary digit of Pi-squared. This calculation would have taken a single computer processor unit (CPU) 1,500 years to calculate, but scientists from IBM and the University of Newcastle completed this work in just a few months on IBM's "BlueGene/P" supercomputer.
  3. Chao Lu, of China, can recite pi from memory to 67,890 places. He holds the Guinness World Record for pi knowledge.
  4. Pi is transcendental and irrational. It is irrational because it can’t be written as a rational simple fraction — although 22/7 is close. It is transcendental because it is not algebraic, it is not a non-constant polynomial equation with rational coefficients.
  5. Humans have studied Pi for almost 4000 years.
  6. Pi is mentioned in bible.
  7. In the first 31 digits of Pi, there are no zeros.
  8. Most people say that there are no corners for circle, but actually a circle has infinite number of corners.
  9. William Jones is the person, who introduced the symbol of Pi in the year 1706, and Leonhard Euler popularized it in 1737.
  10. Some also celebrate July 22 as Pi Day because 22/7 is a common approximation to pi.
  11. A bill before the State Legislature of Indiana in 1897 tried to set the value of pi at 3.2. It was narrowly defeated.
  12. If you write “3.14” on a piece of paper and hold it up to a mirror, it looks like the word “PIE”
  13. Literary nerds invented a dialect known as Pilish, in which the numbers of letters in successive words match the digits of pi.
  14. This Pi Day is special. The first six digits of pi are 3.14159, and this rounds to 3.1416. Today is 3/14/16.

Happy Pi Day! Celebrate by reciting your favorite math puns and eating round objects - like pie!

3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510582097494459230781640628620899862803482534211706798214808651328230664709384460955058223172535940812848111745028410270193852110555964462294895493038196442881097566593344612847564823378678316527120190914564856692...