It’s officially March 14th. This is not just an ordinary day, but a day on which all math geeks and nerds alike can unite! Happy Pi Day! To commemorate this historic number, here are three jokes and 14 facts about pi:
- Sir Cumference was the roundest knight at King Arthur’s table because he ate too much pi.
- What do you get if you divide the circumference of a bowl of ice cream by its diameter? Pi a la mode.
- 3.14% of sailors are pi-rates.
- Pi Day is also the birthday of Albert Einstein's, Apollo 8 Commander Frank Borman, Astronomer Giovanni Schiaparelli, and last-man-on-the-moon Gene Cernan.
- Australian researchers have found the sixty-trillionth binary digit of Pi-squared. This calculation would have taken a single computer processor unit (CPU) 1,500 years to calculate, but scientists from IBM and the University of Newcastle completed this work in just a few months on IBM's "BlueGene/P" supercomputer.
- Chao Lu, of China, can recite pi from memory to 67,890 places. He holds the Guinness World Record for pi knowledge.
- Pi is transcendental and irrational. It is irrational because it can’t be written as a rational simple fraction — although 22/7 is close. It is transcendental because it is not algebraic, it is not a non-constant polynomial equation with rational coefficients.
- Humans have studied Pi for almost 4000 years.
- Pi is mentioned in bible.
- In the first 31 digits of Pi, there are no zeros.
- Most people say that there are no corners for circle, but actually a circle has infinite number of corners.
- William Jones is the person, who introduced the symbol of Pi in the year 1706, and Leonhard Euler popularized it in 1737.
- Some also celebrate July 22 as Pi Day because 22/7 is a common approximation to pi.
- A bill before the State Legislature of Indiana in 1897 tried to set the value of pi at 3.2. It was narrowly defeated.
- If you write “3.14” on a piece of paper and hold it up to a mirror, it looks like the word “PIE”
- Literary nerds invented a dialect known as Pilish, in which the numbers of letters in successive words match the digits of pi.
- This Pi Day is special. The first six digits of pi are 3.14159, and this rounds to 3.1416. Today is 3/14/16.
Happy Pi Day! Celebrate by reciting your favorite math puns and eating round objects - like pie!