My First Trip to Umrah

Photojournalism: My First Umrah, A Change Of Perspective And Strength In Faith

A trip that I will cherish till the day I die

129
Eeman Uddin

It really hit me as we walked into the aircraft embarking on a 14-hour flight heading to Jordan. There was really no going back now. Since I was in kindergarten I have always dreamt of a day that I would go to Kabah and walk in the footsteps of the righteous. Alhamdulliah, I am so thankful to Allah (swt) for hosting me. I am equally thankful to him for allowing me to be in the company of my grandparents, dad, cousins, my beautiful khalas and uncle throughout the whole experience. I admit that I was super nervous being that this was my first time overseas and without my siblings or mom or grandma. However, over the course of the trip, I realized that all of that was irrelevant because Allah (swt) sent help in the best of ways by providing me with the best of food, family and support.

1. City of Tents

City of Tents, Mina

Every year in Hajj season milions of tents are filled with millions of more people attesting to not only the barakah of Hajj but the endurance of Hajjis during there stay here.

2. Mountain of Light

This mountain is where the Prophet Muhammad (saw) first received the first revelation in the month of Ramadhan in 610 CE . It is so incredible just to stand there and realize that you are walking through history and looking at the place it all started. Our beloved Prophet (saw) used to stay up in those mountains and reflect for many days and nights. Not to mention, his first meeting with angel Jibraeel (as) happened there too. This was the place where the first order from Allah (swt) came, "Recite!".

3. Isha in Madina

Outside Masjid An-Nabawi

It's moments like the ones in the picture where you really can't believe you're here. The night is cool and the atmosphere is calm and the whole city sinks into a quiet slumber. All the markets are shut down and everyone stands in rows facing the Kabah calling onto their creator.

4. Date Garden

Date farm

(slide show)

And it is He who sends down rain from the sky, and We produce thereby the growth of all things. We produce from it greenery from which We produce grains arranged in layers. And from the palm trees - of its emerging fruit are clusters hanging low. And [We produce] gardens of grapevines and olives and pomegranates, similar yet varied. Look at [each of] its fruit when it yields and [at] its ripening. Indeed in that are signs for a people who believe. (Surah Al-An‘am, 99)

Was it absolutely aesthetic? Yes. Were the dates really good? Yes. Did we get really good pictures? Yes. These palm trees gave off a completely different vibe from those in California. For the short time that we were there, my head was constantly facing upwards trying to take in how enormous the trees were and then trying to imagine how people get up there to take out the dates.

5. The Kabaa

(slide show)

And [mention] when We made the House a place of return for the people and [a place of] security. And take, [O believers], from the standing place of Abraham a place of prayer. And We charged Abraham and Ishmael, [saying], "Purify My House for those who perform Tawaf and those who are staying [there] for worship and those who bow and prostrate [in prayer]." (2:125)

Finally, we were really here. This was where Ibraheem (as) built the Kabah with his son. This is the place where the prophet threw the idols out of the Kabah. This is the place where so many Muslims and sahabah with far greater eeman performed Hajj and Umrah. This is the place where Duaas are accepted. This is the house of my creator and the creator of all those around me. This is a place where money, race, culture, and physical differences are irrelevant. The only thing that matter here is Allah (swt). We traveled across the world to see this and it was soooooo extremely worth every millisecond. I saw people with no legs doing tawaf, people who were crying to their lord and even people who were blind doing tawaf. As I write, I now realize that all of those people are my fellow brothers and sisters in Islam. I didn't know them but we shared an experience. Allah (swt) chose each of those individuals to show up at his house. I can't even begin to stress how much of a blessing that is!

6. Mount Thawr

This is the mountain where the Prophet Muhammad (saw) along with Abubakar (RA) hid from the Quraysh. Surah Tawbah details a little bit of what happened.

If you do not aid the Prophet - Allah has already aided him when those who disbelieved had driven him out [of Makkah] as one of two, when they were in the cave and he said to his companion, "Do not grieve; indeed Allah is with us." And Allah sent down his tranquillity upon him and supported him with angels you did not see and made the word of those who disbelieved the lowest, while the word of Allah - that is the highest. And Allah is Exalted in Might and Wise.(9:40)

Alhamdullilah, we were given the opportunity to witness a bit of history and realize the power of Allah (swt) protection. If Allah (swt) has hot your back inshallah nobody will be able to lay so much as a finger or a glance in your direction.

7. The Clock Tower

(slide show)

It quite literally towered over everything. It was really cool, however, because it had an enormous mall inside as well as a bunch of hotels and halal restaurants.

9. Madina Airport

Madina airport

It was so beautiful. It's the kind of asthetic that you need to see after almost two days of travel.

10. Inside Masjid Nabawi

(slide show)

This mosque was gorgeous! From the detailing on the roof and the lights and arches to the moveable roof that would open up (last video). It was amazing like you could actually hear birds chirping and feel the breeze wafte in as you prayed.

10. The Rows Of Umbrellas Throughout the Day

(Slide show)

Unreal. That's what I kept telling myself every single time. No camera lens can do it justice. One of the best things is walking to masjid a Fajar time and praying outside. Once you make salam you can bear witness to an amazing sunrise and the sing-song zhikir of the birds all around.

11. Masjid Quba

Masjid Quba

(Sahl) bin Hunaif said:
"The Messenger of Allah (Peace be upon him) said: 'Whoever purifies himself in his house, then comes to the Quba' Mosque and offers one prayer therein, will have a reward like that for 'Umrah."
Sunan Ibn Majah 1412

This was such a great mosque. So many pigeons and so many rewards. The exterior was only a fraction of the beauty inside.

12.Top  Level of The Kabaa

13. Food

(slide show)

And [mention] when Abraham said, "My Lord, make this a secure city and provide its people with fruits - whoever of them believes in Allah and the Last Day."... (2:126)

We were quite literally experiencing the fruits of Ibraheem (as) duaa. There was so much food there and I made sure to take advantage of all of the halal fast food chains like five guys. Because honestly, no such things exist here in the US. I also had such incredible ice cream that I wouldn't be surprised if 50% was made from zam zam. LIke it was seriously good. However, given the plethora of food, I didn't pig out as much because I was more focused on other things. But it was still amazing to have that opportunity.

14. Cats

(slide show)

Majority of our family on this trip loved cats so it didn't hurt that Madina was filled with them.

15. Rawda

Peice of Jannah

I didn't get to get a great picture but the green carpet is where the rawdah or the piece of Jannah starts. It's not usually this calm but I went with the wheelchairs so it wasn't as rushed. Overall it was amazing!

"The area between my house and my minbar is one of the gardens of Paradise." Narrated by al-Bukhaari (1196) and Muslim (1391)

16. Amazing People

The people who worked in Madinah and Makkah were so kind. Some of them really enjoyed telling us about the city and making our experience more relaxing. For example, in the picture above, our bus driver decided to make us hot chai while we prayed in Masjid Quba. By the time we came back we all sat in the bus and bonded over some great chai.

17. Mountain Uhud

Mountain of Uhud

This was such an emotional visit. Not only because we got one of the best tour guide. It was really moving to see how it all played out and I wish I could go back.