15 Things You'll Understand If Your Dog Is Actually Your Child

No, my dog isn't "just a pet."

116
Bruce Regittko

I adopted my pug, Luna, in December of 2015. At the time, I was going through a really rough period. Luna completely changed everything and turned my life around. Although it's a cliché, I honestly do not know where or who I would be without her.

Dogs are little balls of light and love. I truly believe that they're more empathetic, compassionate, kind, and caring than any human could ever be even though they may not understand most of our words or actions. In the last three years, whenever she has seen me cry, Luna has gotten visibly upset and come right up to my face to try and lick my tears away. On hard days, she has known to snuggle up to me a little closer. Through depressive episodes, she never left my side. And whenever I come home from a long time away, she greets me right at the door with the excitement of a child on Christmas.

My dog means more to me than anything. And while that may seem silly to some, it's understandable when you consider how much she has helped me through. When I was struggling with an eating disorder, the responsibility of nourishing Luna reminded me to nourish myself. When there were days when I felt there was no reason to get out of bed, she's the reason I left the house to take her on a walk.

She's pretty much as close to a child as it gets. And I know I love her just as much. If your dog is your child too, here are some things you'll understand:

1. You have a hard time sleeping without them by your side.

Katie Regittko

This isn't true for everyone, but Luna sleeps as close as possible to me whenever she can (she loves the body heat). The hardest thing about adjusting to college was honestly sleeping without her. So much so that I have to have one of her toys on me to get a full night's rest.

2. You love buying them things. 

Katie Regittko

Yes, I am one of THOSE parents that dresses up their dog. And for the most part, she loves it. But also, the look of wonder in her eyes when I bring home a new toy or kind of treats is the best.

3. You spoil them...maybe too much.

Katie Regittko

Before I did an overhaul over the Summer, Luna had over 150 toys...it was a little excessive.

4. And they probably get away with more than they should. 

Katie Regittko

Luna definitely gets into her fair share of trouble but she's so cute that she gets away with 90% of it.

5. You've kind of started to look like them.

Katie Regittko

The theory that people look like their dogs is 100% true.

6. And you have so many selfies to prove it.

Katie Regittko

I mean, this entire article is just a reason to show off pictures of me and my dog.

7. All of your friends know and love them.

Katie Regittko

Luna's pretty popular among crowds.

8. They go everywhere you do.

Katie Regittko

I've taken my dog on 6 road trips now (we stan a well-traveled queen!) because I can't bear to leave her at home.

9. You think of them when you hear love songs.

This is dramatic but I definitely made a whole playlist for my dog.

10. You take annual family photos with them.

Bruce Regittko

To watch them grow throughout the years :')

11. Their senior pictures are nicer than yours.

Katie Regittko

Because, let's face it, they're more worthy.

12. You own all the merch for their breed.

Katie Regittko

At this point I'll buy anything with a pug on it.

13. And their name.

Katie Regittko

There are moons alllll over my room.

14. The day you adopted them was the best day of your life.

Bruce Regittko

Even though I drove 6 hours both ways to pick her up.

15. Because they're the love of your life.

Katie Regittko

I love my dog so much (can you tell) and hopefully other people have that same connection and can relate to these things. Because puppy love is most definitely the best love.