How Having A Pet Changed My Life

How Having A Pet Changed My Life

My dogs are my best friends.

1815
How Having A Pet Changed My Life
Marissa Douglas

Whether it be a fish, bird, cat or turtle or maybe even all of the above, pets are a part of the family. I got my first pet when I was like five and she was a dog. She was my best friend (and still is). I don't have a preference as to what kind of pet I like the most but if I could I would take all the pets from the shelters and keep them as my own. One of the reasons I got a dog was because I had begged and begged my parents to get me one.

I love my pets, some more than others (but they don't need to know that). I've lived at least 10 years with some sort of animal companion. I share a special bond with my animals more than I do with humans. My favorite would have to be my four year old Husky, German Shepherd mix. He is the biggest baby you could ever meet. He may get on my nerves but I love him to pieces.

My family and I got him on April sixth, 2012. He was born the day one of my good friends was hit by a car and killed. He was actually the girl’s dog. He was the only all white one in the bunch and I picked him. He was a big fluff ball when we finally were able to bring him home. He's changed my life in so many positive ways.

He has been there for me through everything. From cuddling, eating goldfish and watching movies to crying and telling him how my day was. When I moved to college, he was the only one I truly missed. He also greets me with the biggest smile and plays fetch (more like I throw it and he just lays down and chews the toy). When everyone else fails, he is always there to dry my tears, by licking them off my face of course.

I couldn't picture my life without my big baby boy, and he is so very special to me. He gets me more than a lot of humans do. He also made me truly realize what I wanted to do in life, be a Veterinarian. He lets me look at his teeth, clean him, cut his toe nails and loves when I brush him. He even likes having bandannas around his neck.

He is also very protective. He knows when someone is trying to hurt my family and I. He barks to let that person know he means business. Unfortunately, as soon as you pet him, it won't stop wanting the attention. He listens well and does what he is told. He gets treats, table scraps and even burps when he is done eating or drinking.

He'll be my forever fur baby even when he is gone, but for now I'll enjoy him while he is still here. Pets might get annoying or get on your last nerve but it will be all worth it when they cuddle up next to you, or give you kisses or just look at you with their puppy dog eyes.