I used to think that love was just a thing that you had for someone you cared for. I saw it as such a surface emotion/feeling and as if it could be wiped away when you got tired of it. I may not have been in many relationships in my life, but I still remember the first time I knew that I loved someone. He doesn't know it and he never will because I didn't love him, I just thought I did. I used to think of love as an anchor and I imagined that if you loved someone enough that they would just be pulled towards you. I know now that this is not true.

When I went to college, I was all about the cute boys. I'm not going to lie, there are so many cute boys and men at college, that you won't know what to do with yourself. I remember my friends and I would stay up late talking about some boy that one girl thought was cute and we would all compare and share our "boy problems". There was this one boy who I called "the cute blonde boy". It has taken me a year and a half to finally talk to him. I don't remember why I was so scared to talk to him, but I was. Remember that no boy is worth that anxiety or missed sleep.

The concept of love was always confusing to me, I could never understand how you could love someone so much that you would do anything for them. I would always say to people that I would do anything for anyone even if I didn't know them, but I had never done that before I did. I just did it; my reasoning was why not? It has taken me nineteen years to understand what love means and I know that my definition of it will continue to change. The way that we love other people is so different to the way that you love your best friend or the way you love your parents. Love can take so many faces that sometimes we don't recognize them.

I finally understood love when I went back to church. I had never stopped praying, but I had stopped going to church because I didn't know anyone that went. The moment I walked into that room, I could feel the love radiating off of every person in that room. It was at that moment, I could actually declare that I would go and do anything for anyone even if I didn't know them. I only knew one person in that room, but I was ready and I was willing to lay down my life for any one of them because I was reminded that we're all related, we're all children of God.

Love isn't something that simply appears, it has to grow and develop just like us. There are people in my life who I wasn't that close to a year ago, but today I can't imagine life without them. I love those people more than they will ever know. 1 John 3:18 says " Dear children, let us not love with words or speech by with actions and in truth." I could say to my friends that I love them so much and they can say that back, but I know they love me when they answer my calls in the middle of the night or they randomly ask me something just to make sure I remember that I am important.

All love should be unconditional. I mean, why not? Why should you hold back and save your love for someone else? There is no one on this earth who doesn't deserve to be loved, we all deserve it. I know sometimes it can be difficult to imagine that there is someone out there who loves you and wants to show you love, but they are. The people who love you don't have to be the person you marry or date, they can be your mailman who you always say hello to, or the lady at the grocery store who you smile at or the child you help cross the road.

If you live without love, then I don't know how you survive. If I didn't have love in my life I don't think I would be able to survive. There was a time in my life when I didn't think that love could be given to me, but I was wrong. There were so many people who wanted to love me and there are so many people who want to love you too. The next time you say to someone that you love them, I want you to think about what that means to you and to them. You could be the only love they get that day or in their life. Make every piece of love you get mean as much as the piece of love you give.