Go To A Concert With Someone Who Influenced Your Music Taste

Pro Tip: Go To A Concert With The People Who Influenced Your Music Taste—You Won't Regret It

I'm finally starting to appreciate the music I grew up listening to.

44
Kylie Finkbone

Last week I went to a concert with my dad and had the time of my life. As a kid, I never thought of outings with my parents as fun, unless I had a friend there or it was something I chose to do. But as I get older, I realize that my dad is one of my best friends, and we have fun wherever we go!

Kylie Finkbone

We attended a Jimmy Buffet concert, which may not have been my first pick in concerts to see, but I am so glad I went. You see, growing up on the beach I listened to a lot of Jimmy Buffett without even realizing it. Buffett combines country, rock, folk, and pop music with coastal as well as tropical lyrical themes for a sound sometimes called "Gulf and Western". He as travels to islands in order to get inspiration for many of his songs. Remember when I said I grew up on the beach? Well, in Buffett's album titled "Boats, Beaches, Bars & Ballards," he sings about the island I grew up on. And if that wasn't enough, he also built a Margarita there as well! During his concert, it was so special to see him flash a picture of my home on the screen, as he sang about this place I grew up. There really is no other feeling like it.

Kylie Finkbone

My music taste and identity have been greatly influenced by various factors such as where I grew up, the friends I made, and the environment that I grew up in. Music is a very important part of life, and listening to it with those who introduced you to it makes it even more special. For me, I love this kind of music because it reminds me of home, and it always seems to tell a story—my story.