Stop Being a Perfectionist and Start

Stop Being a Perfectionist and Start

To all you procrastinators out there.. you might not be lazy. You just might be a perfectionist.

78
Stop Being a Perfectionist and Start

I used to be an avid blogger on this platform beginning August 2015. I wrote about 53 articles over the next year and a half, but then all of a sudden, I stopped.

Life got busy, and I wasn't really sure if my blogs really mattered. But there was another reason: I was a perfectionist.

In early 2017, I looked over the content I had written and began to find so many reasons to pick at what I had posted (kind of like when you get in the mood of dissecting your own Instagram feed and you start seeing an issue with EVERY post).

So then I decided to take a break. I also decided that in the future, I would start up my own website.

Well 4 years have come and gone, and guess what: I haven't started my own website yet! I haven't even published a single blog during this time! Why? Because I was waiting for the perfect website name, the perfect website color palette, the perfect blog post, the perfect time to post this blog post.

And because of that, I NEVER started!

In a way, I have to admit that I'm thankful for deadlines: They FORCE you to start, whether you feel like it or not. Turning in that paper next Friday night is NEVER going to be a perfect time, but since it's a deadline, you know you're writing that paper irregardless of whether you like it or not.

So, I'm starting a new habit: If I want to do something, I'm going to start with whatever little resources I have. I'm not going to wait UNTIL I have more money to sign up for a fancy gym class to get back into shape. I'm going to use the yoga mat that I already have at home and complete a few of my favorite pilates workouts on YouTube (shoutout to Blogilates) in my living room.

And if I love blogging and want to continue to encourage others through my writing, I'm going to start right now. That's why I'm back on The Odyssey!

If there's something that's been on your heart for AGES but you haven't been able to get to it because you feel like XYZ have to happen first, think again. Be creative in the ways that you can smart small NOW. It's crazy how starting small can get you to really big places. Even with really long research papers (deadlines are coming up for some of us in a few weeks!!), start by just creating a Word Doc and writing your name on the first page and saving it on your desktop. That's literally a START.

"Do not despite the day of small beginnings!" - Zechariah 4:10

You'll be surprised at the growth that comes after.