NC State Increases Fees For Engineering Students

34

On May 26th, I received an e-mail from NC State that informed me that because I am an engineering major my cost to attend my college will increase.

The new fee is officially dubbed the “engineering computer fee” and is supposed to further the development of the college. Reasons for the tax include a lack of public education support from the government, as well as needing more money to keep a competitive program. I understand all these points, but what I don’t understand is why only engineering students are affected by this.

Is it unfair to make non-engineering students pick up the weight if it doesn’t affect them? Yes, but it is also unfair to be penalized for what major you choose. A lack of public education support affects the whole university, not one college in the system. If NC State is making engineering and computer science majors pay a fee and not any other college, it seems as though they are saying our humanities and science majors departments are not important enough to receive more funding to keep improving.

Many students are having to take out loans, and this fee is unfair to many. While some may argue that with an engineering degree you will receive a higher salary and will be able to pay it back easier, what about those of us who want to go to graduate school and have to go in debt for that as well? If colleges start charging more per department or college, how will this affect those who want a double major, or even a minor?

Also, from a logistics stand point, how are they calculating this fee? Many students switch in and out of engineering, so our numbers are always changing. A small part of me is worried they will make it easier to get accepted into our college so that they have more students paying into the college. I do not want to see our reputation suffer because of this fee.

If we are receiving less funding and are struggling to keep improving our programs, every part of our university should be feeling some sort of impact. If NC State wants to keep its reputation as a strong engineering school, it should cut some humanities or social science majors, or stop painting the grass green, or stop unnecessary changes to our recreation center.

It is unfair as well as infuriating that NC State is penalizing those of us chasing an engineering degree. A raise in tuition across the board would ensure that the university is still able to thrive, and that every department is able to grow.