To My Grandfather In Heave

Papaw, I Hope You're Having The Best Time In Heaven

We all miss you down here.

2789
Taylor Shanks

As I write this, it has been a year tomorrow since you left.

It has been almost a year since I lost my best friend. The man who showed me what true love was. The man who would put on fake earrings, necklaces, and have tea parties with me.

One of my favorite memories of you is every Sunday I would be ready for church, and you would shout how pretty I looked. It embarrassed me at the time, but now showed me never to settle for anyone who wouldn't shout how pretty I was.

It is hard to think that I have spent a year without your guidance.

I can remember coming home from school and you would be watching "Andy Griffith" or "Gunsmoke" with the volume up so high — Mimi and I would shout at you to turn it down. Now, I have all the show's funniest scenes memorized because I could hear you watching it from the bedroom.

You loved playing the guitar and singing. You wanted it to sound right and that meant playing the same line over and over again until you thought you had it right. It annoyed us 'til no end, but I am sure we would love to hear it one more time.

This taught me not to quit something until I got it right, even if I had to take it one step at a time.

In the summer, we would walk down to the store at the end of the road and you would get me an ice cream (against mom's wishes). We would sit on the swing and eat our cones. At the time, I thought you were invincible. I never thought I wouldn't get to spend another moment like that with you.

This taught me to take every day one step at a time and to cherish each moment.

When you got sick, all I wanted to do was help. I wanted to do anything I could to make you feel better. But you never asked for anything. Even on days you could barely roll over in bed, you still wouldn't ask me to do anything, besides light the occasional cigarette for you.

This taught me to be strong.

I watched you be the strongest you ever could be, not only for yourself but for Mimi and Mom.

I miss you every single day. I miss singing together. I miss watching softball games. But I miss the way you made me always feel important and loved. You mean the world to me, you gave me the world. Papaw, I hope you have had an amazing first year in Heaven. I love you.