3 Things I'm Grateful For As My First Pandemic Thanksgiving Approaches

There is always something to be thankful for, even if we can't always see it.

46

The end of 2020 is quickly approaching. It is almost the end of the year, but it's felt like a decade. It's hard to believe that not even a year ago, I was sitting in my college dorm. My only worry was what microwaveable meal I would eat that night. Now, it's impossible to even make a quick trip to the store without the essentials: debit card, hand sanitizer, mask, back-up mask, and more hand sanitizer. This year has been extremely tough on everyone, but there are still reasons to be thankful this holiday season. I'm grateful for my family, my relationships, and my health.

1. I'm grateful to share memories with my family.

As we get older, we start to drift further from the nest and start our own families. This year will technically be my second Thanksgiving away from home, but my first real Thanksgiving on my own. I'm grateful for all the memories that I've shared with my family thus far, and I know that I will have plenty more to share with my own children. Hopefully, I won't oversalt the mashed potatoes like my mother has done in years prior, but that's what the holidays are all about.

2. I'm grateful to be ending this year with the man I love.

I know it sounds cliché, but I'm grateful to be surrounded by love this year. I've had a challenging year emotionally, and I'm grateful to spend the last few weeks of it reunited with my significant other. I've looked forward to these months the whole year and now that they are finally here, it feels like a dream.

I'm thankful for being able to love and to be loved so passionately. I'm thankful to be with someone who makes my heart skip a beat each time I see him. I'm grateful to spend another holiday season with my significant other and hope to spend many more together.

3. During this pandemic, I'm most grateful for my health.

I feel extremely lucky and privileged to have been able to stay home and quarantine without the fear of losing my home. I'm also thankful for the opportunities that this year has given me to reflect. When you have spent most of the year alone, you learn a lot about who you are as a person. I'm thankful for that reflection period. It has benefitted my mental state and how I carry myself. I'm thankful that all my family and friends were able to stay safe during this pandemic. I'm grateful for my health.

My heart goes out to those who will have an extra seat open this year at the table. Even in times of sorrow, there is always something to be thankful for, even if we can't always see it. Take care and have a safe Thanksgiving.