Big Companies That Use Palm Oil In Their Products

Palm Oil Products Are Killing Off Species, Here Are The Big-Name Brands To Avoid

Without changes in our lifestyles, critically endangered animals like orangutans, tigers and elephants don't stand a chance.

88

With a government that doesn't concern itself with the environment, it's our turn to step up as individuals to keep earth livable for all species. Every year, there are more and more brands turning to healthier substitutes for reducing their impact on the environment, and in turn, help prevent the extinction of species who make their home in palm forests.

However, it's not the cheapest way out, and many big brands are choosing to stick to their old ways for the largest profit. If small brands can use alternate healthier products and thrive, there is no reason for corporate brands, who should be the leaders in this, to not do the same.

Kellogg, Colgate, General Mills, L'Oreal, Nestle, Pepsico, Danone, Kraft Henz, Johnson & Johnson, Hershey, Nestle, Procter & Gamble, and Ferrero are all guilty for exposing their brand to an overwhelming number of 'dirty producer groups'.

These corporate companies are consumers of a bundle of 25 dirty producer groups that together have destroyed over 130,000 hectares of rainforest since the end of 2015. To put that in reference, an international-sized rugby field is 1 hectare in size. Only one. To make matters worse, there are way more 'dirty' brands that slide beneath the surface which raises the stakes even higher.

Over a quarter of the deforestation is occurring in the forests of Indonesia, which is considered one of the most biodiverse areas in the world. Since 2015, close to half of the deforestation has been taking place in Papua, which had been previously unaffected by the palm industries. There are already devastating forecasts for the future of this beautiful place, due to these companies having no concern for the well being of animals there.

If we want to be able to continue to live amongst beautiful creatures such as the orangutan, Sumatran elephant, Sumatran rhino, Sumatran tiger, and pygmy elephant, we need to start taking this into our own hands.

So many brands offer affordable, non-palm oil products. I realized it was silly that I care so much about the environment and these beautiful species, yet I was using so many products that damage their habitats.

I know that we can't all be perfect, and no one alone can be a superhero. However, I'm a firm believer in small changes can have great effects. There's 7 billion of us on this planet, and if we each choose to alter our lifestyles just a little bit, we will see profound impacts, and hopefully, then the corporate businesses will follow suit.

#ThereIsNoPlanetB