Pakistani Artist Fatemah Baig Uses Her Pop Art Portrait Instagram Account To Empower Females Everywhere

Using all colors of the spectrum, Baig shows the true beauty of females through her exquisite pieces that capture spirit and culture.

4486
Instagram / Fatemah Baig

Artwork holds a lot of meaning with it, on both the viewer's and the artist's side. And there are countless genres of art to view and analyze. From realism to cubism (and pop art too), art comes in a variety of forms and mediums. I had the pleasure of interviewing Pakistani artist Fatemah Baig about her artwork, what it means to her and who she reaches out to.

When I first saw her pieces, I was blown away at how she captures the spirit of the figures she draws. Her art consists of a vibrant background color with a central focus on a portrait of a female, and the best part is that each piece of art depicts clothing and culture in its own unique way.

1. When did your art career begin? Was it related to working on portraits depicting South Asian women?

"I am a graphic designer by profession. After graduating in 2008, I worked at different design houses. I started working as a freelance designer only last year, which is why it was possible for me to create these artworks. I did not have to follow a fixed job routine, and I was free to do whatever I wanted any time. Originally, I did start with colorful illustrations of dark-skinned girls because brown stood out so beautifully in my color palette, but it was not specifically related to representing South Asian women. At least, I didn’t think of it that way."

2. How would you classify your art style? Do you have an inspiration in mind when creating these pieces?

"It’s a blend of pop art with South Asian fashion. And yes, anything that’s visually appealing and has room for experiment motivates me to work on it."

3. How long have you been creating your pieces, and what is your favorite piece?

"It’s been a year now, and my favorite piece so far is 'Restless,' maybe because it reflects my constant state of being."

4. When do you think your artwork rose to fame?

"I wouldn’t say it has risen to fame. But I did get a lot of exposure after a few online magazines shared my work on their Instagram [accounts]."

5. Do you believe your pieces are an inspiration to Asian women?

"I wouldn’t call my own work inspirational. Haha! I think they’re just beautiful, relaxed, confident women who are comfortable in their own 'skins.'"

6. As a South Asian woman myself, I was astonished by your works when I first saw them.

Is there a specific message you have with your art that you want people who see your art to know?

"Thank you! I started creating these pieces out of boredom. I had an Instagram profile for years, but I never actually used it. It was my friend’s idea that I should start posting my work on Instagram. So, to be honest, I still have no agenda with my work. It’s just something that I enjoy doing, and now, I’m sharing it with others. Honestly speaking, it’s the amazing messages from people that add meaning to my work."

7. What is the best part of making each portrait?

"It’s the entire process, but I love choosing the color palette. There are so many color combinations to play with, which also makes it a little hard, but it is the most exciting part for me."

8. Finally, what is your hope for the future concerning your art, both immediate and long-term?

"I hope that I’d be able to improve my work, learn more and make more subjective artworks."

I'd like to thank Ms. Baig for doing this interview. As a South Asian female, I felt empowered seeing some of these pieces because they showed the true splendor of Asian culture. I highly recommend seeing the rest of her works here in case you'd like to look at more.