4 Reasons Painting Should Become Your New Years Resolution

It's never too late to make a resolution you can actually keep!

7

Usually, everyone has a resolution involving getting fit, dieting, or cutting toxic people out of their lives. Although there's absolutely nothing wrong with these resolutions, picking up a new hobby is just as good for you! Here are a few reasons on why painting should be your new hobby.

1. No Skills Required!

media.giphy.com

Painting isn't just for art majors or people with a "knack" for it, it's for anybody! You don't have to be the next Bob Ross to enjoy painting. There are a million different techniques and styles that range from artist to artist. Wanna paint a landscape? Go for it. How about an abstract piece involving only circles? Have at it. There is no right or wrong, and not every painting has to be perfect or even "good". Additionally, as with any talent, skills develop over time with patience and practice!

2. No Fancy Supplies? No Problem!

Okay, so maybe you aren't apprehensive of your skills, but rather how much picking up painting could cost you. Get rid of the mindset that you need fancy brushes, an easel, and the best paints on the market. Truthfully, if you're just starting out it's better to go cheap anyways! It allows you to build up some confidence and really get your style down without breaking the bank. Got an extra 10 bucks? That can get you your brushes, paints, and canvases from just about any dollar store.

3. Your Mental Health Will Thank You

As long as you step into it with no expectations of creating the next Mona Lisa, painting is a great stress reliever. Putting paint to canvas or paper is a soothing process, and is often used in art therapy. In addition, it's great to get negative feelings out of your head and onto a canvas. Think of it as almost a mental purge in the form of paint. Feeling sad? Paint that all blue winter scene! Feeling angry? Paint your enemies on fire! Just don't let your own expectations of how your piece should turn out ruin the experience.

4. Paint Parties Are Totally A Thing!

What's cooler than grabbing some paint and creating art with a few besties? It's easy to find tutorials on youtube that a group can follow along with. It's so cool to see how different the paintings can turn out even though the instructions are the same. Just wanna paint whatever? That's cool too! It can be a really uplifting (sometimes hilarious even) experience to share with those around you.

Overall, it never hurts to try something new. The benefits outweigh any cons because the worst that could happen is you end up not liking a piece, and start over. Even threw that, you're learning what works for you and what doesn't. So grab some paints, a brush, and let your creativity flow!