Paint Nite: A Review of a Night of Art and Booze

It was so easy even I could do it.

133
shaareishalom

Last weekend, the ladies in my family spent our evening out attending one of the new trendy events that have surged across America that combines booze and artistic abilities: Paint Nite! The idea behind Paint Nite is that you have one professional artist give you a step by step lesson on how to make a magnificent piece of art, while you attempt to follow instructions and get buzzed with booze either provided by the venue or brought from your own home.

For our event the piece of work we were attempting to replicate was called "End of Summer".

Upon inspection I had the same reaction anyone with the artistic ability of a kindergartner would have..hell to the no will I be able to replicate that. I had a good year and a half of elementary school art classes where almost every project I got back was C worthy.

This made me wonder how a two hour class was going to improve any "skills" I might have. However, putting any doubtful thoughts to the back of my mind I quickly ordered my first drink of the night to work as some liquid confidence, a peach whiskey mule, and headed to my station.

At each station you are given a paint tray with all of five colors that we were going to use, a canvas, brushes, and cleaning supplies for your brushes. The only downside of the work areas though is that arm space is far and few, but still is pretty manageable.

Once we got started I have to say that my work looked like what I expected it to look like from the beginning, a complete mess with attempts at blending to make it look better (P.S. I would like to thank all those youtube makeup tutorials I've watched that taught me everything I knew about blending). When it came time for us to take our break all I could think was that my painting looked like a sad art attempt put together with items you find at a ball park snack bar. Again for comparison here was mine,

and here was what the final product was supposed to look like.

The odds were not in my favor here.

Which meant it was time for liquid confidence number two, a Manhattan. At this point things got scarier when it was time to use the black paint mainly because it's hard to hide and blend black paint if you mess up.

I was disappointed, at first, mainly because I thought they were supposed to be trees and it was looking like a fire had occured in my forest. Suddenly, though we added the horizon to our art and I could finally see a comparison between the two paintings.

Maybe I wasn't bad at art, maybe I've just been doing it wrong this whole time! With some final touches added our work of art was done and I have to say mine was pretty satisfactory!.

I think if you are interested in a fun night out, with your girls, this is the event for you. It's fun it gives you confidence in your art skills and it's way easier than you think it's going to be. Also one of the highlights was trying catch all of the "that's what she said" jokes by our teacher. Such as: "Every time you brush it, it gets bigger"

Yes, I know. I have a twelve year old's sense of humor.