The Ultimate Pacific Coast Highway Road Trip Guide

The Ultimate Pacific Coast Highway Road Trip Guide Every West Coaster Should Know

Stay healthy with this dreamy West Coast summer road trip

26

With limited ability to travel while staying conscious of COVID-19, looking for ways to enjoy the summer may seem daunting. Hometowns have been explored and Zoom meetings with friends are getting repetitive. While airplanes are still a no-go, road trips are a great way to stay safe while getting out of the house!

If you happen to be on the West coast of the U.S., like myself, you get the luxury of having access to one of the most beautiful and easily accessible road trips in the country: Highway 1!

I grew up knowing about the infamous Pacific Coast Highway, or Highway 1, that runs from the top of the Washington coast all the way to the border of California and Mexico.

Until now I have not found time to take this scenic route down the coast I love so much. With more time than I have had in years and sleepless nights up prepping for this trip, here are my picks for the best ways to stay COVID conscious while taking the road trip of a lifetime.

So what's stopping you from making this road trip your COVID vacation?

Campsites

@baseykates

Forget hotels, camping helps maintain social distancing standards while you are on the road. Not only will you save money, but you will get the opportunity to immerse yourself in nature.

Campsites like Ocean Mesa on the Santa Barbra coast allow you to camp on the beach. If you're more of a forest goer, opt for Big Basin Redwoods State Park to sleep under the famous California redwoods.

Obscure Beaches

@glennleerobinson

Along the coast everyone flocks to big beaches like Huntington and Rockaway. Save yourself from the crowds by chasing sunsets at lesser known locations.

Cozy little beaches like Salmon Creek in Northern California serve as a nice hideout from others. The tucked away McWay Falls in Big Sur boasts a waterfall that leads into the ocean. Do I need to say much more?

National Parks

@oregoncavesnps

Many national parks have chosen to stay open amid the pandemic because there is enough room to uphold social distancing standards. Every state along the Pacific Coast Highway has different parks with a wide range of natural wonders.

Check out the "Marble Halls" of the Oregon Caves and if you prefer the beach stop at Point Reyes National Seashore, both are currently open to the public!

Hiking

@spenrol

You will never have a lack of places to hike along the Pacific Coast! In Washington, be sure to walk the Shi Shi Beach Trail in Olympia. This moderate hike is seven miles of coastal views and foliage, with plenty of space to keep your distance from other hikers.

Don't forget the Umpaqua Dunes Scenic Area Loop in Oregon. This two mile hike shows off the elusive dunes while being an easy family friendly trail.

Landmarks

@adam_ali91

Another great way to stay six feet apart on your coastal adventure is by sightseeing from the comfort of your car. Drive over the famous Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco for some wonderful views.

While going through Humbolt drive under and around the redwoods at the Shrine Redwood Drive Thru at the Humbolt State Park. Also, be sure to pull over watch the sunset across the Pacific Ocean.