Owning My First Cat As An Adult Is Different Than A Family Pet

Owning My First Cat As An Adult Is Incredibly Different From Having A Family Pet

My cat has made a positive impact in my life and I'm so glad I adopted him.

303

I come home from a long day at school to find my black kitten, Zeppelin, eagerly waiting for me. He meows excitedly several times and runs up to me. He rubs himself against my legs, which is one of the many ways cats show their affection. I reach down to pet him and I'm already smiling.

When I've had a rough day, he is STILL excited to see me. He makes me feel like I'm the best person in the world with how much he loves me.

When I was younger, we had cats in my family and they usually slept in my bed at night. I was their person BUT they also had the rest of my family to love. Zeppelin is my first cat in adulthood and I didn't realize how much could change by having my own cat.

The bond is just different than it was with my family cats. Like Zeppelin is MINE. When other people come over to hang out, he always hangs out near me. He will always greet the visitor but still wants to hang with me.

Zeppelin used to be a very shy kitten, but he's slowly gotten used to being around other people. Still, I am his mother and ultimate source of comfort and he reflects that when people come over.

However, Zeppelin is more than just my pet. He comforts me and helps soothe my anxiety. Since I adopted him last summer, I have noticed a huge change in my anxiety. His little presence makes me feel less lonely in my one-bedroom apartment and watching him play with a toy will always make me smile.

If you are thinking about getting your own cat in college and have the funds to provide for the cat, go for it! My cat has made a positive impact in my life and I'm so glad I adopted him.