Go Outside, It's a Beautiful Day

Go Outside, It's a Beautiful Day

21
Go Outside, It's a Beautiful Day

As a sophomore, full-time student, Greek like member, an active participant in several clubs and organizations and someone who still manages to have a social life, I can see how the thought of curling up in a ball on your bed on a Sunday seems appealing. However, I believe that spending time outdoors is the most ideal way for one to clear his or her mind. I was once told to try sitting outside when I was extremely stressed and anxious. Since that day, I’ve had a different perspective on the outdoors. Escaping to the outdoors does not only benefit your body, but your mind as well. With fall just around the corner, there’s no better way to take advantage of the season than to spend time immersing yourself outdoors. The leaves are changing, and maybe your habits and hobbies will change simultaneously with them.

As a society, we can’t help but stay indoors. We have become sucked into a hole of technology addiction. It seems almost effortless that we spend hours staring at our cell phones and looking at photos, when in reality, what we should be looking at is right outside. We have become so disconnected from nature and the negative effects are prevalent everywhere we look, but reconnecting with our original source, can, in truth, solve some of these problems.

Maybe you're stressed out because of the overwhelming amount of school work you have to do. Try taking a walk outside. You will be surprised when you come to realize what an efficient coping mechanism and stress reliever walking outside can be.

Maybe you're having writers block before a paper that’s due tomorrow. Try going outside and listening to nothing besides your own thoughts. Something is bound to spark your imagination and increase your focus and concentration. New and intriguing things surround us, you’ve just never taken the time to attempt to observe them.

Maybe you're sick and tired of hearing your mom nag you about what you should be doing, even though you're not even living with her. Try going on a run to release your anger. Your stress and displeasure will undoubtedly become alleviated.

Maybe you're nauseas after a late night out. Fresh air will work wonders. Scientific data has proven that being in a completely natural setting leads to a better, stronger and healthier immune system.

In short, you don't have to be on a beach in order to enjoy the outdoors. Watch the sunset, find a nature path or maybe just feel the sun beating on your skin. I urge you to put your phone down, go outside and take some nature in. The world is beautiful and has endless offerings. If you just look outside for a while, you'll realize that by removing yourself from the four walls beams an eye-opening experience that will benefit both your body and mind.