6 Oscar Nominated Films You Should Definitely Watch

6 Oscar Nominated Films You Should Definitely Watch Before The Big Night

As if anyone needs another excuse to watch movies.

25

The Academy Awards (a.k.a. The Oscars) are coming up in February and the best way to prep for the ceremony is to make sure you've seen the big films that got a nomination. The ceremony takes place right here in Los Angeles -- The Dolby Theatre to be exact -- so be aware that it's going on if you try to drive around Hollywood on February 24th. All the more reason to stay at home and watch the ceremony!

Before that, though, make sure you're prepared to judge the contenders for yourself. There are a few you've likely already seen, like Black Panther and Bohemian Rhapsody, which rank as some of the most popular releases of 2018. However, there are plenty of lesser known films that were deemed nomination-worthy. Check out all of the nominations for yourself, or just read on for six recommended films to see.

1. 'BlacKkKlansman'

This film earned six nominations, including Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures (Original Score), Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Director, Best Actor in a Supporting Role, Best Achievement in Film Editing, and -- the big one -- Best Picture. It's got a riveting plot based on a true story, and it illustrates the marked divides that existed in our country while also including humorous moments in a natural way.

2. 'Isle of Dogs'

If you're a dog lover, you've got to see this movie. It earned two Oscar nominations: Best Original Score and Best Animated Feature Film. It's bursting with Wes Anderson's distinct directorial style (think: Moonrise Kingdom or Fantastic Mr. Fox), which is a perfect match for a heartwarming story of a boy in search of his beloved dog, even as societal issues surround him.

3. 'Roma'

Roma's TEN Oscar nominations made headlines not simply because of the count; it was released by Netflix, a company that's aimed to compete with the traditional films studios -- and now it has. It follows the story of a maid who works for a middle class family in Mexico City. It's black and white, which adds a shade to the emotional storyline.

4. 'Christopher Robin'

Seriously, who doesn't love Winnie the Pooh?! Personally, he's my favorite character from my childhood and I loved this film (though I'll admit, I was skeptical of a live action version initially). It was nominated for Best Achievement in Visual Effects by the Academy this year, and if you see it you'll understand why. Pooh Bear looks like something Ewan McGregor could've actually picked up in the Hundred Acre Wood!

5. 'If Beale Street Could Talk'

This film earned three Oscar nominations: Best Original Score (look out, Isle of Dogs!), Best Actress in a Supporting Role, and Best Adapted Screenplay. It follows a character, Tish, whose new fiance is just accused of a crime. The plot entails their pursuit of proving his innocence as well as her pregnancy. Reviewers call the film "beautiful," "thoughtful," and "powerful."

6. 'Vice'

No, this isn't related to Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (at least that's what came to mind when I read this film's title). It's the story of former U.S. Vice President, Dick Cheney, and the influence he wielded while working under former President George W. Bush. It's a star studded cast, including Christian Bale as Cheney, and is worth a watch.