Opinion | Freedom Of Speech Is Under Attack

When Telling The Truth Becomes Illegal

10
Crystal Van Houtte

The United States of America has taken some nauseating twists and turns down a dark path paved with racism, xenophobia, and corruption. Americans have a responsibility to fight against tyranny. We are standing on the precipice of change. The choices we now make could affect the lives of millions for generations.

Our world has never been more connected or informed, yet millions of people choose ignorance over truth. Millions of people choose to blindly follow an administration that is plagued with accusations of treason, lies, corruption.

How did America become a country where the public doesn't care if their rights are violated? Why are so many citizens willing to stay silent as their Constitutional and human rights are taken away? Why are so many so called freedom lovers, in support of a fascist, authoritarian coup?

The latest threat to democracy is the attack on our first amendment rights. Freedom of speech and freedom of the press are the cornerstones of democracy. A society cannot truly be free of corruption if it does not have freedom of the press.

It has become apparent that this administration will not be satisfied until they have stripped the public of its ability to discuss, critique and remove corrupt politicians.

In recent times we have seen the firing of the former head of the FBI James Comey. Americans watched in disgust as the press was banned from filming White House press briefings. Texas has proposed legislation that would make discussing politics at home illegal if someone in your home has received a mail-in ballot. We have seen presidential speeches promoting police brutality, following a multitude of statements referring to the Constitution as outdated.

Montana elected a congressional candidate that body slammed a reporter by the neck before punching him in the face.

The nation watched in disbelief as Jeff Sessions announced his war on journalists that publish leaks from within the current administration. Why would this administration believe that this would deter Americans from seeking out the truth?

The administration is working overtime to convince citizens that we have no right to the things that are intrinsic to being an American.

The macabre reality is that the free press is under attack. This should be cause for alarm. The free press is our first line of defense against corruption, especially now.

America was never meant to be an authoritarian dictatorship. We all have a duty to remember that freedom is a right, not a privilege. Journalists are protected by their First Amendment rights, so they should not be prosecuted for writing the truth.

"Keep Resisting"