My View On Abortion Has Changed Since Leaving Catholic School
Politics

Now that I am in college, I am finally able to develop my own opinion on abortion.

159

I went to private catholic school from kindergarten to senior year of high school. I do feel like I received a very good academic education, but sex education was practically non existent.

The Catholic church has certain views on sex, abortion, and birth control. I had 12 years of learning about nothing but the Catholic church's view on everything. Instead of given the facts, I was told what I was and was not allowed to do and believe about sex and everything that comes along with it.

The extent of Catholic school sex education is: abstinence. Just don't do it, at least not until you're married. I was never taught about condoms or birth control because, "if you are having sex (as a married couple) then you should be willing to accept a child being created from that act". Premarital sex wasn't even discussed other than the "fact" that it was a sin and you were pretty much going to hell for doing it. Slut shaming essentially. And do not even try to argue on the subject of abortion. That is a subject where the wrong opinion will get you in the principals office.

Now that I am in college, I have finally been able to develop my own opinion on the subject of abortion. I am only 19. I don't plan on having children for a very long time. But I know that if I did accidentally become pregnant, I have a family and a support system that would help me through the pregnancy.

I can't sit here and say that I would never get an abortion; I have never been in the situation where I actually had to make that decision. I just don't know what I would do, especially depending on the situation that caused the pregnancy. And just because I might not want an abortion, doesn't mean I should take away someone else's right to do so. Abortions are going to happen whether they are safe and legal or not.

I think that my main issue with the abortion bans in the United States is the fact that it gives no options to women. So you're willing to discuss taking away my right to an abortion, but you won't talk about making birth control easier to get and cheaper to purchase? My insurance does not cover my birth control medicine, so I have to pay 100% out of pocket every month. Or how about the fact that tampons and other feminine hygiene products have an extra tax on them that other products considered "necessities" do not have? And even these topics do not cover half the issues that are involved in this abortion crisis.

I am ashamed to say that during my 12 years of Catholic education, I was convinced to believe that overturning Roe v. Wade would be one of the greatest political feats of the 21st century. Now I know that instead, this is an attack on MY healthcare as a woman. Politicians are completely taking away a right that women have had since 1973 and the Catholic church is in complete support of it.

There is so much more I could write about this subject, but I know my fellow creators feel very passionate about it as well. My main goal with this is that you do your research. Read my article. Read the other articles about abortion, Planned Parenthood, and the abortion ban on Odyssey. Look up news sources and learn about what is going on in our politics. Do not let someone tell you what your opinions are. I spent 12 years believing things that I know were not my own thoughts and feelings. Do not let others tell you what to believe and do not let others tell you what you can and cannot do with your own body.