Dear Potential New Members....

Dear Potential New Members....

The prerogative is the same: find the girls that will enhance your chapter (and life).

16
Dear Potential New Members....
education.seattlepi.com

Dear potential new members,

I'm sure you've heard all the cliché-but-accurate quotes about sorority life. I'm also sure you've heard some not-so-stellar rumors and/or stories about sororities. Some of you may have other influences, like family or friends that are Greek, but for those of you who don't, sappy quotes and biased articles or hearsay are all you have to go on. This can understandably lead to confusion and make you feel on the fence about going through recruitment. In this already overwhelming time in your life, I thought it best to explain the process, what to do, what not to do, and whether going through recruitment is right for you.

The Process

On each campus the process is varied, but the prerogative is the same: find the girls that will enhance your chapter (and life). For the most part, recruitment will span over several days. You will have to visit every house on the beginning day(s), but from then on, through mutual selection, you narrow down your houses. On the final day of recruitment, Preference Day, you will be left with two houses. Once this day is over, you may receive a bid card (which you can decline for any reason). Once you accept it, you will officially be a "new member" of the sorority.

What To Do

As simple as the process sounds, it can be very overwhelming and even draining at times. So, to make it simpler and less stressful, I'm going to share with you some pretty basic ground rules that will help you through.

1. LOOK PUT-TOGETHER. People will tell you your looks don't matter. And, they are right to an extent. You don't have to look like Kendall Jenner to be a sorority girl. If you come in unkempt and looking as if you don't give a 'you know what about' this process/yourself/the girls in the house, however, don't be surprised if you don't get asked back. Shower, brush your teeth, wear clean clothes, etc. Just look put-together. That's really all you need to do.

2. PACK SNACKS AND WATER. Especially during the first few days, these are necessities. The days can get really hot, and if you're on a big campus, you will have a fair amount of houses to attend. You need to stay hydrated and at least semi-full. Trust me, I learned this lesson the hard way as I passed out at my last house on the second day. Not fun.

3. BE YOURSELF. You may feel like you need to fit in, or say all the right things. The truth of the matter is, sororities aren't just looking for the cookie cutter girl. They want girls who stand out and who are confident in who they are. Besides, you will never find the right house for you if