Open Your Mind To A World Full Of Adventures

Reading takes you places, but you have to open the book first.

51

Books are my thing. I love reading. You hand me a good book and I am set for hours.

I actually spent almost two hours just the other day at a book sale in a library. It was amazing! Just being surrounded by so many good, old books made me (not necessarily my allergies though) incredibly happy.

I appreciate books; however, sometimes I feel as if reading is going out of style. There are not many people I can freak out with about books. It is a rare occasion for that to happen.

So, why is reading going out of style? Why are people not as interested in the world of books?

Part of my belief on this issue is just that books are misrepresented. When someone thinks of reading they think of what was “Required” to read in school. For most people, this is not a happy thought.

People can think of reading as boring and not a fun activity. But, they don’t realize all they are missing.

Books are adventures. They introduce you to new emotions and experiences. They unite people. Books allow you to learn about culture and history from a new perspective.

I like movies and Netflix just as much as the next person but watching does not compare with reading. There is something about slowly working through the entirety of the story from the first page to the last.

When you read a story, you become a part of the story. It gets personal. You go through every single thing with the characters and you feel one with them.

However, some people may be not interested in the thought of reading just because they don’t know where to start. They want to read and think it would be a valuable experience, but with so many books they don’t know where to start.

I was in that situation before I became the book worm I am today. It can feel overwhelming or stressful trying to pick out that one perfect book to start with. But, forget perfect. Pick up the first book you see, ask a librarian, or maybe get that book you’ve always kind of wanted to read but never have.

The key is just to start the reading process. And, then the rest is history.

One last reason people sometimes stray away from reading is just that they don’t think they can find the time.

I totally identify with this one especially being in college right now. It’s hard to juggle classes, homework, work, friends, extracurriculars, etc. It feels like there is no time to just sit quietly and read. But, I have found that when I make the time to do it, I feel so much better. Reading reminds me of what I love and makes me feel like I am doing something for me while also being productive.

So, while it can be a challenge to make time, if you want a hobby that makes you feel good and like you are working your mind, make the time. Set aside a little time every day or every other day or once a week to just chill with a good book.

Reading has changed my life for the better and opened me up to so many new worlds. It can open your eyes to things you never thought possible.

So, if you’ve never been a huge reader, just pick one up and see where it takes you because I promise you it will take you on a wild ride.