An Open Thank You Letter to Odyssey

An Open Thank You Letter to Odyssey

"Thank you for giving me a voice."

550
An Open Thank You Letter to Odyssey
Huffington Post

Dear Odyssey,

You've been pretty incredible to me for over a year, so I wanted to thank you for some of the things you've done for me.

Thank you for providing me with a platform to express myself.

I'm not the best with words when it comes to saying them out loud, which is why I have such a love for writing. I was once told that you dip into your subconscious more when you write than when you speak. I believe this. I've learned more about myself through my writing than I have through anything else. Sometimes I'll write something, reread it and think: "Wow, I had no idea I even felt like that." Writing gives me a chance to learn my truths and express them. It allows me to welcome new ideas I didn't even know existed. It allows me to be vulnerable. It allows me to be myself.

Thank you for inviting me into a community.

I'm the type of person who likes to sit back and observe when I first meet someone. I take a while to open up to someone new. This is why virtual communities are so beautiful. There's no worrying about being judged on superficial things. One doesn't have to read what someone says if he or she doesn't want to. On the other hand, there's the opportunity to see a perspective from a complete stranger that one might not have even thought about. I probably never would've known about the people on my team without this platform. I am so grateful that I've gotten to read the articles my team puts out and I've gotten to learn their insight on everything from the past election to their favorite band. I'm also incredibly grateful for the creators in other communities. Reading their work is both humbling and inspiring.

Thank you for giving me a voice.

I care about a lot of things, but word-of-mouth can only do so much. Having access to the world through this site is something I don't take lightly. I'm all for DIY listicles and writing about my favorite TV shows, but it means everything that I get to talk about what matters to me. It means even more that I get to talk about what matters for those who can't speak for themselves. I've written about topics I never thought I would. I've given my perspective on some controversial topics, but I've tried to remain open-minded. I want to share my thoughts with the world, but I want to hear the world's thoughts in return.

Thank you for pushing me out of my comfort zone. Thank you for encouraging me to always be thinking outside the box. Thank you for teaching me that even if I don't have the solution, I can keep looking for it. Thank you for letting me share my passion with the world.

Thank you Odyssey.

Sincerely,

Your writer