An Open Response To Why High School Wasn't "The Best Four Years Of My Life"

And neither is college. At least, for me.

7
Brandy Melville, Chris Amat Blog

I agree, people told me for the entirety of my high school career to enjoy it because it would be "the best for years of my life." Then, as graduation loomed over my head and it was clear that I had not had a thrilling adventure during high school, my family started telling me college would be the best four years.

I've heard all the stories. College was the best time of my family's lives, so much so they often call it their four-year-vacation. However, that's not what it is for me.

I've never wanted to join a sorority and live on campus; there's nothing wrong with it, but that lifestyle just isn't for me. I've viewed college as a way to get my degree. I'm solely on campus to go to class, work study and then go back to my apartment.

While I have made friends, and have roommates I grow more fond of every day. My best friends and my boyfriend are all people I have known since before I started college.

College doesn't fulfill me.

I have dreams of a reporting career and travel, and in order to achieve those dreams, I am getting an English and Journalism degree. I want to help people. I currently am a volunteering-advocate at Rape Response Inc. I love shooting photos of my friends, family and of my environment. I'm vegan, and am constantly trying to take care of the planet as much as one person can.

These are the things that make me happy, my aspirations.

So, maybe college isn't the best four years of my life either. Maybe those four years are yet to come. Maybe it's not always high school and college that bring us the most joy in life, and maybe it's the people in our lives and our future that will fulfill us the most.

Every day, I am thankful for the people in my life, and I can't wait to see what is to come.

This article is in response to Why High School Wasn't "The Best Four Years of my Life" and is in no way trying to bash or argue against the author, just trying to offer another perspective bounced off of theirs.