An Open Letter To My Younger Sibling Going To College

It was hard for me to go, but it's harder to see you go.

28

I never thought the time would actually come to be writing you this letter...but here I go.

I can’t believe the time is finally here—you’re going off to college. You’re about to start your freshman year, and I cannot believe how fast time has flown by. I always knew you would be leaving one day, but I was comforted knowing you were still in the familiarity of high school and under our family’s roof. And since you had only been applying and receiving acceptance letters, nothing was set in stone yet, so I didn’t really feel the need to worry.

But everything finally hit me when you committed to your school, San Francisco State University. Wow. It is so weird having the shoe on the other foot, seeing you pack up your boxes and take down your decorations. You’re doing what I did just three short years ago. You’re actually leaving. You’re actually are going to be on your own.

Enjoy this time while you have it. As daunting as it may seem sometimes, college is one of the most liberating and exhilarating experiences. Within these next four years, you’ll meet people who will change your life, you’ll make memories that will last forever and you’ll learn more about who you are as a person.

As excited as I am for you to move in, meet your roommate and meet some weird professors who might not know what they’re teaching about, I have to be honest and let you know that this is extremely difficult for me.

So while I know you're going to be fine, things are going to be a little different now. You'll have to learn first-hand some of the struggles that come with college and being away from home, and that's really hard to sit back and watch because I am naturally extremely and fiercely protective of you—you're my little sister, how can I not be?

For example, it breaks my heart knowing you’re going to call mom bawling your eyes out because you miss home or because you’re overwhelmed by the stress of school. I know it’ll happen because even I did it, and I was the one who couldn’t leave and get on the plane to Chicago fast enough. Now, I don’t think you’re going to be an emotionally unstable wreck, but it is sad knowing you’ll get emotional and won’t have those closest to you actually be close to you. I know how hard it will be because I had to go through it.

I think what makes this situation even harder is knowing our family is going through a period of change right now. You’re beginning your journey in school and I’m about to end mine. Things won’t ever go back to “normal” for us—with everyone being under the same roof on a consistent basis. Not only are we still far from each other, but now we are both far from home. It’s weird to see all of these changes, and new stages of life, unfold right in front of our eyes.

But at least Mom can finally get her much deserved, much needed full peace and quiet, and it means we’re going to become that much closer and appreciate our time together that much more.

No matter how hard it might be for me to see you go, as your protective and loving older sister, just know I will always want what is best for you. I will always be your biggest cheerleader, and will always want the world for you, and more. I cannot wait to FaceTime and hear you brag about your accomplishments, or even to hear you complain how all of your professors scheduled midterms the same week, or even how going to the doctors by yourself for the first time is scary.

I am so excited to see you become an independent adult and make an amazing life for yourself. This is only the beginning.

I love you so much, and know I am always just a phone call away.