Open Letter to the Parent By my Side

Open Letter to the Parent By my Side

"There will be so many times you feel like you've failed. But in the eyes, heart, and mind of your child you are SUPER MOM"~ Stephanie Precourt

203
Open Letter to the Parent By my Side
google

When do we begin to understand the value of the people around us, who do we begin to appreciate first? Is it our family? Our friends? Our Mentors? Often those who we seem to value first, are the people that leave a mark on our lives. These individuals will often set examples for us. They will show us their own mistakes, give us advise, and push us by showing to grasp to our positive qualities. They will teach to become people who can surpass their accomplishments. They will point out our flaws so we can fix us. These individuals will applaud us and stand by us when we reach specific goals in our lives. For an individual who was born in the United States, facing an unexpected immigrant reality the country has to offer taught me the most.

Dear Parent,

I thank you for being a part of my life from Day 1. I appreciate you raising me to be the person that I am today. I appreciate you raising me as a single parent in a city like New York. A city which can be hard to survive without some of the most significant struggles. This is that city with so many opportunities, but it pushes people to gain even a single chance. Not only did you birth me, but you also raised me on your own from a very young age.

I appreciate everything that you have done. You worked full time and got me everything I wanted at and often by struggling to do so. By getting me what I wanted and teaching me the value of those items, you showed me that nothing would come easy. I would need to work hard and earn everything that I need.

By pushing me to prioritize school I learned and am at the point where I am about to earn a Dual Bachelor’s degree and a minor. This accomplishment is something that I am finishing in the same amount time it takes most kids to complete 1 degree.

I may have made numerous and may have had gotten to the high point at 22. But it was tough to get this far. There were times opportunities were limited, money was tight, and I had to give up on occasions because I couldn’t afford them.

Today, I can say, that I have become someone who is capable of making decisions, presenting themselves in a public forum, and even stand on their feet without feeling shame.

I learned that it’s okay for me to make mistakes, learn from them, and move on. I learned to grow as an individual by working hard, respecting the people around me, and doing what I need to ensure that I become better than what I would be at my lowest point. You taught me that, nothing in life would come comfortable and I have to respect the struggle of earning my future.

Hence, my single parent, I appreciate everything that you have done that has forced me to become the person I am today. I understand the sacrifices, and the world that you built for me, so I can accomplish what is necessary and with time.

Thank You,

The child you raised.