An Open Letter To My Ex-Best Friend

An Open Letter To My Ex-Best Friend

I revisited a former friendship that I broke off before I left for college. This letter is all the closure I could ever ask for.

4
An Open Letter To My Ex-Best Friend
Victoria Lee

Hey,

It’s been years since I’ve heard from you. Thank goodness social media keeps me updated to let me know you’re thriving. It’s not my fault LinkedIn suggested you as someone I may know. OK, perhaps I did go out of my way to find your Instagram page, but sometimes you cross my mind and I wonder how you’re doing.

I can’t help but wonder sometimes how things would have been if we worked out. Maybe if you didn’t take me for granted so much, or if I didn’t have such a hot temper, perhaps then we would still be expecting to grow old and move into houses next to each other the way we had planned to.

I can’t believe I really thought we were going to be friends after everything we went through together. We had been friends since the beginning of time and were there for each other for everything.We’d show up at school wearing non-planned coordinated outfits, binge-watch "Gossip Girl" religiously, creating our own slang words and planning weddings with Orlando Bloom. In bad times, you were my shoulder to cry on because you always knew the right things to say to make me laugh and help me forget my pain. You were the best part of my teenage years.

So much has changed since then. I learned to stop relying on you for my happiness and discovered how to be my own person. I’ve discovered my own favorite things without your consent. Before you departed from my life, I never had a sense of independence and self-confidence the way that I do now. I’ve learned that you don’t need a best friend forever because there are so many amazing people that have come into my life since you. I guess you can say that you were replaceable.

OK, not entirely replaceable. No one can ever compete with the good times that we shared together. But what comes with all the great memories is also the unfortunate reminder of all the reasons why we stopped being friends.

I think why I wrote this letter was to let you know that I finally learned to let go of the hurt, and that I don’t regret having you in my life at all. Rather, I’m proud to have called you my best friend at one point in my life. I genuinely want you to be happy in all of your life endeavors, and I hope that after all these years you’re happy for me too.

Sincerely,

Your Ex-Best Friend