Open Letter To The Student Trying To Survive

Sometimes you're thriving and sometimes your drowning.

183
Nikko Macaspac

College is hard, but life is harder.

The stress almost feels like too much at times. As a student you are expected to be studying, reading, writing, working on group projects, getting involved on campus, stay in touch with friends and family, working to pay for school and living expenses, and trying to build a network of connections to help you get a job after college. I don't know about you, but when it's all laid out like that I get just a tad overwhelmed.

Being a college student demands so much more work and time than people tend to attribute to students. We aren't just studying and working on assignments. We have to build connections and relationships, plan for the future, and work as many hours as possible to start paying off those crazy college loans.

I feel your pain.

College is a rough roller coaster, one day you are thriving and your life is put together, but then the next you feel like you're drowning in a sea of assignments.

The worst part?

You pay for this stress and there is no easy fix for smooth sailing. There are a few methods to help you navigate the waters a little easier but there is no quick fix. The best way to avoid all this stress is to pick an easy major and have a rich family. Sure, your college experience will be easier, but the product of your experience will be a life that you may or may not be satisfied with. What do I mean by that? Well if you pick a degree program based on its easy workload, odds are you are lazy and you won't end up working in a field that you are passionate about, but if your family is wealthy then you're set and you don't even need to worry about it.

If you don't happen to fit these very specific characteristics then odds are you are struggling right about now. I'm not going to pretend that I feel the same stress and pain that you feel because I'm not in your same position. I have different factors effecting my college experience.

Just know that you aren't alone.

I feel similar stress, frustration, and anxiety over the piles of work that only seem to grow. I often feel like I'm drowning, but as sure as I know that college will always be stressful and busy, I know I can make it through.

I am tough enough. You are strong enough.

So right now, if you are struggling hardcore with anything related to school or life, just keep pressing on and set your sights on the end goal because it will all be worth it once you get that degree. In the meantime ask for help from friends, colleges, your college's tutoring center, a professor, a pastor, a family friend. If you feel like you're drowning then grab ahold of the hand reaching in for you.

And when all else fails, cry out to Jesus.

Jesus came toward them walking on the sea very early in the morning. When the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were terrified. “It’s a ghost!” they said, and they cried out in fear.
Immediately Jesus spoke to them. “Have courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.”
“Lord, if it’s you,” Peter answered him, “command me to come to you on the water.”
He said, “Come.”
And climbing out of the boat, Peter started walking on the water and came toward Jesus. But when he saw the strength of the wind,[e] he was afraid, and beginning to sink he cried out, “Lord, save me!”
Immediately Jesus reached out his hand, caught hold of him, and said to him, “You of little faith, why did you doubt?”

Matthew 14: 25-31