An Open Letter To My Hero Who Became A Single Mom Overnight

Strength, love, and inspiration.

2329
Mason Moorfield

Dear Mom,

Words cannot describe how thankful I am for everything you do for me, but especially in these last two, almost three, years.

Three years ago in June, our lives were completely turned upside down in the blink of an eye. No one would have expected that we would lose such a huge part of our lives so soon and so unexpectedly.

With all that life threw at us, your faith never wavered. You were strong. You were determined to make life as normal as it could be for our family. Most importantly, you were inspiring. Not only to our family, but to others around you. You were a light to those who had experienced the same thing as you.

Here are a few things I want to thank you for...

1. Thank you for making me go to school.

Even when I begged and pleaded with you not to go, you wouldn't budge. Thank you.

It had only been two months since dad passed away and I was starting my freshman year of college and it was the hardest thing I have ever had to do, but you got me through it.

You encouraged me and supported me every day and even when I was so unhappy, you told me to be tough and that "this to shall pass." If it would not have been for you, I would have never had the opportunity to fall in love with my beautiful university and be involved in all that I am.

2. Thank you for being the perfect example of a strong woman and mother.

In the midst of my sadness, I remind myself that yes, I lost a father, but you lost a husband. Someone you had shared your life with for years, someone who became a part of you was gone in an instant.

Sometimes I wonder if you ever had time to grieve yourself. You were always so focused on our family that I wonder if you took time for yourself. Thank you for being selfless when you had every right to be selfish.

3. Most importantly, I want to thank you for being my best friend.

Thank you for always being the person that I can go to when I feel as though I have nowhere else to turn. Thank you for good morning and good nights texts, daily phone calls, and FaceTime dates. Thank you for encouraging me in everything that I do and always picking me up when I fall.

To all the other single moms out there: thank you.

Thank you for holding your families together and always being there for your children. Thank you for being like my mom and being selfless when you have every right to be selfish. Please know that you are not alone.

You are surrounded by people who love you and admire you. You inspire so many people, including myself and you are stronger than you know. You are a light and you share that light to the world every day; when you get out of bed and start your day with your head held high even when you feel like falling apart, you share that light. Thank you.

Mom, I will never be able to repay you for all that you have done for me. I just hope that in everything that I do, I make you proud.

I love you more.

Sincerely,

Your grateful daughter