What Every Incoming College Freshman Should Know

Some old advice for a new class.

19
University of Georgia

So you're about to head into your freshmen year of college.

You probably decided to go to college either because you figured it's the next thing people do, or you are looking to further your education. The core reason college was created is for people to specialize their education. After all, you wouldn't be paying all that money if it wasn't special. Grades and lectures are important, but if you're going to college just for the education, you're wasting your money.

Go to school for more than just school.

Disclaimer: grades are important. Kids, do your homework. Study for those exams.

But if you're tunnel-visioned on the school aspect of college for all four years, then you're spending thousands of dollars for a piece of paper with your name on it and some information that you're probably going to forget within the following year (seriously, don't ask me any questions about chemistry. Everything left my mind once I walked out of that final exam).

You most likely turned 18 during or right before entering college. You are now a legal adult, and college is the place where you grow into that new identity. At this stage in your life, you begin to more clearly define your likes and dislikes. You develop your own beliefs. You start to know when you begin and end, and you experience a new level of responsibility. Congratulations on adulting!

Because of this new identity, college is more than just an investment int your education - it's an investment in yourself. Don't just focus on growing in knowledge. Focus on growing character.

Some practical advice for you.

So how do you go into college with the intentionality of growing your character?

Community – I probably grew the most because of the people I surrounded myself with. The friends that I’ve made in college come from all over the world. They came with their own unique personalities, beliefs, quirks and ideas. Getting to know these traits of each friend has broadened my perspective. I have heard their thoughts, and I am developing my own thoughts.

While in college, enjoy the relationships that happen organically, but also seek to surround yourself with a group of people (from a club, sorority/fraternity, class, job, etc.) that will develop your perspective.

Explore different scenes – There’s the party scene, the sports scene, the theater scene, the cultural scene, the religious/spiritual scene, etc. You don’t even have to participate in or have friends from each scene (although, most likely, you’re going to). But if there’s an event on campus that stems from those areas, go to it. Even just observing these scenes will help you define your likes and dislikes – where you begin and end. College is a place that offers almost everything from all sides of life. And most likely, those things are free!

The point of this article isn’t for you to drop all the books and neglect your assignments. The point of this article is to challenge you to make more of your college experience than just your grades. When it seems like your drowning in a sea of exams and homework, remember, the pressure is off! College isn’t just an investment in the work, but it’s an investment in yourself.