One Down, 3 Years To Go

One Down, 3 Years To Go

Getting Through the First Semester of College

8
One Down, 3 Years To Go

Going to college isn't easy. It's like going back to high school, but way harder. Some of the material isn't that bad, but it's getting used to a new way of doing things, a new way of taking notes and studying. The transition is what gets most of us college students.

The first semester was rough for me. I had to get used to doing mostly everything online. I also had to go on my own and decided that I wanted to transfer schools already. I decided that being away from home wasn't for me. So not only was I learning how to find all of my school things and important due dates, etc, online, I had to do the process of changing schools.

Going into my first semester of college on my own was very stressful. I wasn't used to not being home every single day. I wasn't used to not seeing my sisters and gram everyday. I also wasn't used to the way they do things. Finding classes was a little hard for not knowing what buildings were what and where they were located. I was having issues finding my books for my courses and I was having issues getting to where my courses were online. Everything about this semester was extremely stressful for me because I kept getting sick every other week. I actually had to take a week off due to me getting sick.

I was getting flustered. I didn't understand where anything was. I missed home. I hated being away from my family. Everything was not like I was hoping college would turn out to be. I began to cry a lot because of my anxiety also. I began to get very discouraged. I didn't want to do this anymore I just wanted to go home.

To my fellow college students out there facing this problem: keep going. I understand it gets hard. I understand you are on your own and have to face everything on your own. Things may not be going the way that you hoped they would. But don't stop. Don't quit. It's one semester. You now know how everything works and what it's like. Be ahead of the game now. Do assignments early and before they are due so you aren't stressed out last minute. Study everyday until a quiz or exam. Don't wait until last minute because if you study daily until the quiz or exam, you are likely to remember it more and possibly get everything correct. Do your homework. It does help you, it gives you a little practice. And lastly, don't cry. You've got this. You are going to do great. You are going to succeed. You are going to get good grades. And you will graduate. The biggest thing in college to remember is to be positive and do your best. That's the only way you will do good.

I hoped this helped my fellow college students. I hoped this showed you that it is ok to get frustrated and be down about it, but the most important thing is to get back up. So to every college student, good luck. You got this.