'One Day At A Time' Is A Brilliant Series

This show tackles issues no other series has.

16

I waited an entire year for season 3 of Netflix's One Day At A Time to be released at the start of this month and it was worth the wait. This season featured guest stars like Gloria Estefan, and "Brooklyn Nine-Nine's" Melissa Fumero and Stephanie Beatriz. If you're not familiar with the show, here is a brief summary of it.

ODAAT is about a Cuban-American family living in Los Angeles. They are a seemingly average family, but they talk about subjects that are extremely important and even controversial. The beauty of the show is that it is a comedy and will have you laughing until you cry, but it is also a very deep and emotional show. The show talks about consent, women's rights, LGBT issues, religion, immigration, racism, mental health, Veterans, and just about any other topic that holds a lot of weight in the minds of many.

Spoiler warning!

I have loved this show since I watched it during my senior year of high school. I remember laughing all night and thinking, "How did I not find this show sooner?" I soon discovered that I had watched it just days after it had aired on Netflix for the first time. I was ecstatic to see a Cuban-American family represented in the media because I am Cuban. I laughed at all their Spanish jokes and loved how they spoke so profoundly about important issues.

This season, there was an episode that centered around anxiety. The show would go from color to black and white every time a character would have an anxiety attack. I saw my favorite characters on screen dealing with something I have dealt with for a long time, and something I have seen many of my friends deal with, anxiety. The characters would lose sight of the world around them and begin thinking of the worst case scenarios until they felt defeated. The show had those characters find coping mechanisms to use when those moments would happen. I thought that was so cool. I have never seen a show tackle anxiety in that way.

There was one episode in season 2 where the grandmother (Abuelita, or grandmother in Spanish) did not want to vote in elections and later told her family she could not vote because she never became an American citizen. Her granddaughter Elena begged her to take the citizenship test in fear that she would be deported, even though she had a green card. Her grandmother explained to her that becoming an American citizen to her, would seem like she was abandoning her home country of Cuba, but in the end, she decided to take the test and became a citizen. She realized she loved her home back then but that she had made a home out of this country and had to honor that as well.

I could go on and on about the countless things this show talks about. It is truly an excellent show with an incredible cast. The award-winning Rita Moreno stars in it alongside some brilliant actors and actresses. I would highly recommend this show to anyone who wants to have a good laugh while learning a lot about the issues in our world.