On Waiting & Patience

On Waiting & Patience

Pray for patience and God will make you wait. This is my story.

341
On Waiting & Patience
Eutah Mizushima

Two things in life are guaranteed, "death and taxes," but I would argue that there is a third: waiting. In life, there will always be times of waiting. It could be as simple as waiting in line at the bank or as intense as waiting to hear back from a doctor about your test results. Regardless of the intensity of the situation, you are destined to wait.

I made the mistake a year ago to pray for patience. Learn from my mistake and never, ever pray for patience. God doesn't just blast you with a patience ray gun, he makes you wait and wait and wait for your next step.

Shortly after praying for patience I started to notice that I was having to wait longer and longer for answers to my prayers, and eventually, God started throwing a lot of "no"s my way. I would apply for a new apartment and get a big ol' no. I would apply for a job and yet another no. I would try to build a new friendship and yet another no. To say I was frustrated would be an understatement.

To make matters worse, at every church service, young adult conference, or even prayer meeting I went to the concepts of patience, waiting, and trusting in God's plan continued to come up. It felt like God was just pointing and laughing at me and my frustration.

To make matters worse, everything at home started to fall apart right when everything at college was finally starting to fall together. I had started to see the end of the tunnel, only to realize that it was all a mirage.

So I did the only thing I could. I went home, helped out, and waited for God to move in my life again. And by waiting I mean I was working to help my family financially, seeking other opportunities that happen to appear on my radar, encouraging my family, and praying that God would provide as he always has. I wasn't passive, but I waited.

Eventually, God did provide and the waiting was worth it. Now I'm on the other side of these intense times and I can see how all those no's and hard times have structured and guided my personality and soul to trust God's will and way. I prayed for patience, but I was told to wait. I waited and God provided.

So, pray for patience if you wish, but know you are about be taken on a long and wild ride of no's and waiting. (But it's totally worth it if you are willing to press through.)