I Am Jewish And I Like Christmas

I Am Jewish And I Like Christmas

We technically don't celebrate it, but that doesn't mean we can't like the most wonderful time of the year.

45
I Am Jewish And I Like Christmas
Danielle Snyder

I am Jewish, and I get gifts for 8 nights. I am Jewish, and I also get gifts on December 25th. Ever since I was a kid people always assumed that when I said I was Jewish that I didn't celebrate Christmas. Many Jewish families do not celebrate Christmas at all, but others do. As a kid, I always felt sort of guilty being the only Jewish kid at Sunday school who sort of celebrated Christmas and liked Christmas time. I've learned that it is okay for Jewish people to like Christmas, and here's why:

1. The Music

Once December 1st comes around, the Christmas music will start playing. It is almost a guarantee that many stores and people, including myself, have been playing Christmas music since November. Soon enough you will start hearing it everywhere you go. To many Jewish people who like Christmas music, it isn't the lyrics that we like its the beat and how catchy the songs are.

2. Family

For Hanukkah, families all get together, light the candle, open their gifts and spend the rest of the night talking. I don't know about other people but when my family "normally" gets together we have a great time. Christmas is just another excuse for us to have a little party, have the whole family come together, and do something Jewish people love to do... EAT!!!

3. Movies

I don't care what anyone says, besides romance movies, Christmas movies are my second favorite genre of movies. There is something that makes you want to sit for hours drinking hot chocolate while you keep your eyes locked to the screen. Plus almost every Christmas movie is iconic: Who can forget National Lampoons Christmas Vacation which is the best Christmas movie of all time.

4. Chinese Food

Did you ever wonder why on Christmas Chinese take out restaurants are always open? Well, the answer is because almost every single Jewish family will be doing takeout from there. I'm not sure if it is tradition or just really good food but something about Chinese food and Jewish people just click, especially on Christmas.

Whether you are Jewish and don't celebrate/do anything relating to the Christmas time or you are and you're eating Chinese food while watching Elf, there is no reason that the Jewish people that do like Christmas time should be judged. Christmas time is about loving and spending time with one another.