Off To The Movies In 2019

Off To The Movies In 2019

The movies I'm looking forward to hitting theaters in 2019!

88
https://unsplash.com/photos/evlkOfkQ5rE
Felix Mooneeram on Unsplash

While there are quite a few films set to be released throughout the rest of this year, here are a few that are on my personal radar! (As some of the films are sequels, there may be some spoilers!)

1. Captain Marvel, March 8

This film follows a former U.S. Air Force pilot after she transforms into a superhero as the world gets caught in the middle of a war between two alien species. A new installment in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Captain Marvel will be the first female character to be given her own movie in the universe. The movie stars Brie Larson, Samuel L. Jackson, Clark Gregg, and Jude Law, to name a few.

Find the trailer here.

2. Five Feet Apart, March 15

A romantic drama starring Cole Sprouse and Haley Lu Richardson as Will and Stella, teens with cystic fibrosis. As a precaution, patients with CF are not supposed to get within six feet of one another. With their connection growing, they struggle to keep a safe distance.

Find the trailer here.

3. Dumbo, March 29

Tim Burton brings a new image to the tale of the Disney animated film with the same name. A newborn elephant born at the circus becomes the butt of all jokes because of his oversized ears. When it is discovered that Dumbo's peculiarity doesn't stop there–not only are his ears ginormous, they also function as wings and make him able to fly–he is on his way to becoming a star.

Find the trailer here.

4. After, April 12

What started off as a fan-fiction story on Wattpad with Harry Styles in mind as the leading man, was then edited and published in 2014 as a series of best-selling novels, is now coming to theaters this coming April. As someone who read this back before author Anna Todd reworked the story, I am quite excited to see how it looks on the big screen. The story follows Tessa Young, played by Josephine Langford, an incoming freshman who begins an unseen relationship with the local bad-boy Hardin Scott, portrayed by Hero Fiennes-Tiffin. Her life will never be the same because before it was so simple, and "now there's just, after."

Find the trailer here.

5. Avengers: Endgame, April 26

Following Thanos' snap in Avengers: Infinity War that made half of the world's population turn to dust, the remaining heroes attempt to assemble. With so many beloved characters gone, those left behind set their sights on undoing the damage caused by Thanos. Who are you most upset about losing in the snap? Personally, each death in the last Avengers film affected me, but none hurt me more than Peter Parker.

Find the trailer here.

6. Aladdin, May 24

A live-action retelling of the classic story from Walt Disney with Will Smith as the Genie, Mena Massoud as Aladdin, and Naomi Scott as Princess Jasmine. In the fictional city of Agrabah, a common thief called Aladdin is enlisted by Jafar to retrieve a genie's lamp, and the story goes on from there in this "whole new world."

Find the trailer here.

7. MIB: International, June 14

While not starring Will Smith or Tommy Lee Jones–the main characters from the original films–this installment of the franchise is one to see. The Men in Black is a secret agency that takes care of extraterrestrial threats to Earth, and we have previously only seen their work in the United States, specifically New York. In this spin-off starring Liam Neeson, Tessa Thompson, and Chris Hemsworth, the international MIB based in London, England is introduced.

Find the trailer here.

8. Toy Story 4, June 21

It is unclear to me what exactly this movie will entail aside from starring our favorite characters from the first three movies in the Disney Pixar series. Woody (Tom Hanks), Buzz (Tim Allen), and their friends are now the toys of a little girl named Bonnie. At the end of the third movie, Andy is seen donating his childhood toys to her as he is now about to head off to college.

Find the teaser trailer here.

9. Spider-Man: Far From Home, July 5

As a sequel to the MCU movie Spider-Man: Homecoming, Peter (Tom Holland) and his class are heading to Europe for a school trip. Wanting to simply enjoy the experience and deciding that, "Europe doesn't really need a friendly, neighborhood Spider-Man," he leaves the suit at home. While abroad, he is sought out by Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) to team up with Jake Gyllenhaal's Mysterio to battle a group of super-villains known as the Elementals.

Find the trailer here.

10. The Lion King, July 19

Another live-action remake of the Disney classic that still holds a place in many people's hearts. With a star-studded cast including Donald Glover, Beyoncé Knowles-Carter, Seth Rogen, and more, the animal kingdom sees the sun set on Mufasa's rule as king.

Find the trailer here.

11. Frozen II, November 22

Following up to the 2013 film from Walt Disney Pictures, Elsa, Anna, Kristoff, Sven, and even Olaf return for another adventure. The exact plot is still not clear, though it would appear that the main characters embark on another adventure from Arendelle. In the trailer it appears that a few new characters are to be introduced, maybe even someone with a supernatural ability similar to Elsa's.

Find the trailer here.

What movies are you looking forward to in 2019?