Odyssey Is A Writing Platform.

Odyssey Is A Writing Platform.

A creative writer's perspective

73
Odyssey Is A Writing Platform.
Gene Wilburn

The development of my passion for writing began when I was in fifth grade. I wrote for the first time to free myself of being bored out of my mind. The nine page short story I wrote was about a Unicorn. It was the start of a new path in life that would drag me places in my mind I never knew existed. I went from light heart works to Suspense Horror to Some strange mix of everything. I am currently in the state of mainly writing in Fantasy while doing some things in Historical Fiction. I've been across the map and all over the board countless times, I've even gone through a several year period of not writing because I didn't feel that anything I crafted was good enough, but where I am today with my writing. I want the feedback from people. I want to write for myself and I want to write so that other people can see my passion for history.

Odyssey is probably one of the best things I've run across. I have gained confidence in my writing and in myself. I am unafraid of my own beliefs and of voicing those beliefs. I feel that Odyssey was a step of healing myself as a writer because in High School I surrounded myself by writers who were better than me and were stuck up about it. I realize now how terrible that was for myself esteem as a Creative Writer. It was damaging toward me and how I perceived my writing. Through Odyssey I have been able to recover my confidence in my ability to write and in my skill as a writer.

The one bit of curiosity is that I have not found many story based writing pieces floating around this platform. I've seen some poetry, a lot of lists, articles on creative writing, but I haven't really seen many story driven pieces out on the platform. I, personally find that strange because Creative Writing is the source for a lot of Great Literature in the world, Mary Shelly's Frankenstein, Chaucer's Cauntabury Tales,Edgar Allan Poe's The Raven, Mark Twain's Tom Sawyer, Twain's Huckleberry Finn, but while most of these are works are what would be read in a high school English class. They are at there hearts Creative Writing pieces. Creative Writing is the base for the Critical thinking papers that make so many people suffer and cry.

Odyssey is mostly a News platform at the end of the day, but the work of emerging and hopeful author's seems pretty worth of being seen to me. I was told Odyssey was a writing platform and it seems more like a news platform to me. I'm happy to be writing with Odyssey, but I'm troubled at the same time. I want to be able to get my stories out into the world. My original work. I cannot be the only person who write with Odyssey that thinks like this. I have stories in my heart and ink in my veins. I have hands capable of find motor movement that allows me to create worlds with history and darkness. I would like to share those with the world, but the small slice of apprehension is that interest would not be there. Public Interest is how Publisher's and Editor's who work in the novel industry want things that interest the public because what interests the public is what sells. Currently that's dystopia fiction with weird love triangles between a sweet guy, a brooding guy, and a girl who is the only person who can save the world/society/whatever, but can't decide between the two guys of equal physical attractiveness trying to bang her. Spoiler Alert: Pick Neither because Relationships do not define women. I'm concerned that Public Interest would define how I write, but at the same time, I don't let anyone see what I write unless I'm personally happy with it, so Public Interest won't really matter until I try to publish something.