Worrying About My Instagram Feed Ruined My Real Life

I Spent So Much Time Worrying About My Instagram Feed That I Scrolled Past My Own Life

Your 70-year-old self won't care about whether or not you took the perfect selfie, trust me.

1046
Personal Photo

Think about it, you're at the beach and you want to take the perfect picture for social media. Maybe you're a mom on your first family vacation or a teenager trying to fit in with your peers by competing on Instagram with an outstandingly perfect bikini selfie. Whatever age you are, have you ever found yourself frustrated with the results? Finding the picture and realizing you aren't happy with your image? Or maybe while taking the picture the kids weren't cooperating with you so you began to yell.

You find yourself so stressed over a single picture that has no other purpose other than to impress your 'friends' on Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, etc.

This right here is an example of how society can actually eat away at your presence. We can take thousands of pictures, either of ourselves or of our kids, and if it doesn't work out to be "picture perfect" we feel depressed. We begin cutting ourselves down by asking ourselves the dreaded question “Why can't I just have one good picture of my kids, or of myself?"

We let it ruin our moods. We let it take our energy right out of our bodies, and we let it drown us as we watch our potential die.

Before social media, everyone could enjoy the beauty of RL but now more adults and teenagers are enjoying the 'beauty' of social media. They're too busy portraying this perfect lie to thousands of Facebook friends. I admit I am at fault for this, too. I have gone through eating trendy food I didn't like, along with trying to create a perfect college life. However, it's cost me losing best friends, and forgetting about a few people. Which is not worth a single photo to me. I began to give up on fitting in with whatever the latest style was.

At some point in life you have to remember that, just like everyone else, you aren't as "perfect" as your Instagram page - in case you forgot.

What if, instead, we put our cameras down for a second. How about we use our eyes for once to take in each moment. A lot of us need to allow ourselves to really enjoy reality. I mean after all isn't that what life is about? Sometimes we get so caught up with competing with the 'perfect' life of others that we forget to enjoy our own.

The more you want for in life the harder it gets to achieve it, and the more you let go of your wants, the more you end up getting. My advice is to put your phone aside the next time you're at a concert, a game or a Friendsgiving. Stop worrying about taking pictures and showing off how many friends you have or trying to show off your new outfit. That's not what life is all about. I mean seriously think about it, do you think for one second when you reach the age of 70 you will be scrolling through Facebook reminiscing about these photos you are so worried about? Wouldn't you much rather have these as beautiful memories and be able to share each moment with the ones you love?

If you haven't already, start to learn how to enjoy the time you have with your friends and family. Seriously you will find yourself much more relaxed, I promise!!

Related Articles Around the Web