Objectification Is The Scariest Part About The Halloween Store

And kids are noticing how we market women's costumes.

56
The Sacramento Bee

Last week I found myself in the Halloween store for the first time this season. I love fall and the Halloween season even more now than I did as a kid, and this little trip honestly made my whole week. I wandered up and down the aisles with my boyfriend, trying to figure out what we should be for Halloween. I couldn't help but notice, that like every year before this one, most women's costumes are skimpy and expensive. What if I wanted to be a doctor and not have to wear a skirt? What if I wanted to be something scary? Our options are limited, ladies, and this year is no exception. *Sigh.*

But, soon I came to notice that I was not the only one who was dumbfounded by yet another year of objectification of women throughout the Halloween season. I overheard a mother one aisle over guiding her daughter to the scary costumes; apparently the little girl wanted to be a vampire. "But, Mommy I don't want to be scary, I want to be pretty!" the girl said. Obviously she had pointed at one of the "slutty" costumes because her mom promptly denied her request and responded with, "Those costumes objectify women. You are not an object, you are my daughter and you are only six." The conversation ended.

I found myself thinking about this for the rest of the night. I was upset by the fact that this is the reality women face, the constant pressure to look "sexy" was becoming obvious to a girl of six years old. I was upset that her mother was already being forced to have this conversation with her. But I was also really proud of the way her mother handled the situation and I sincerely hope she explained to her daughter what "objectifying" means. It's a difficult concept to grasp at such a young age and it makes me sad to know that this is what the Halloween store is showing to both little boys and girls.

However objectifying the costume options may be, I have no intention of shaming the girl who wants to be a "slutty (insert anything here)." Girl, you can be whatever you want! This just becomes a problem when over 50% of costume options are degrading and borderline insulting. For example, my boyfriend and I wanted to be a superhero couple, but my options were narrowed down to a batman corset (Bat Girl?) or a mini skirt and crop top with an "S" for Super Woman (if that's even what it was supposed to be). So, I passed up those options and left. What happened to my options? And what does this mean for my future daughter when the only doctor outfit in the store is "sexy nurse?"

Here are a few examples of what I've seen so far this season:

It's 2016, people! The options are endless! Even picnic food can be objectified!

Remember when being a witch for Halloween meant smothering your face with green paint? Apparently now, if you're over the age of 16, you have to wear your underwear and heels.

Childhood ruined.

I will just let this be known that this costume is called "Anne Orexia".....

*End Rant*

So, when you find yourself walking into the Halloween store this year, I encourage you to take a look around and try to imagine what you would say to your six-year-old son or daughter if they pointed these costumes out to you. Are we going to let little girls grow up thinking that being beautiful means wearing heels and lingerie? Are we going to let little boys grow up believing that this is an acceptable way to view women? I don't see this issue letting up anytime soon...so with what generation does this stop?